The Norton Rose Fulbright team “is known for multidisciplinary engagement with complex engineering and construction issues, with a strong focus on project finance, PPPs and dispute resolution mandates. Also has particularly extensive experience in the energy and resources infrastructure sector.”
Construction & Infrastructure – Australia
Chambers Asia Pacific 2015
Our national infrastructure team is dedicated to delivering quality, value for money services to governments, project developers and financiers, domestic and international investors, construction companies and other industry participants on infrastructure projects throughout the Asia Pacific Region. We have advised on a large number of high profile, award winning infrastructure deals across a range of sectors from transport and mining to telecommunications and health.
We have extensive experience and expertise across the full breadth of infrastructure projects including financing; acquisitions; construction and development; disputes; and operation and management.
Examples of our recent work
- Refinancing of four social infrastructure PPPs - we acted for the financiers on the AU$2.8bn refinancing of four infrastructure PPP projects – the Sydney Convention Centre PPP, the Eastern Goldfields Prison PPP, Sunshine Coast Hospital PPP and the New Bendigo Hospital PPP projects.
- Privatisation of Port Hedland International Airport - we advised a consortium comprised of funds managed by AMP Capital and Infrastructure Capital Group (ICG) on its successful acquisition of Port Hedland International Airport through a long-term lease structure.
- Major mine infrastructure project development - we act as primary legal advisor for POSCO E&C on its involvement in the AU$16.5bn Carmichael Coal Project based in Queensland, Australia. POSCO has been appointed to two major Engineering, Procurement and Construction (EPC) contracts for the delivery of infrastructure to service the project: a new AU$1bn port terminal at Abbot Point and an AU$2bn standard gauge rail line.
- Telco infrastructure acquisition - we advised a Macquarie Infrastructure and Real Assets-led consortium on its AU$2bn acquisition of the Crown Castle Australia mobile telecommunications tower business from its US parent company in 2015.
- International port development – we are advising the Indonesia Ports Corporation on the US$2.5bn Kalibaru (New Priok) Port project in Indonesia (working with colleagues in our Jakarta office)
- Regulation of rail access: we are advising the Queensland Competition Authority on the multi-billion dollar access undertaking for the Central Queensland Coal Network.
- Financing of Sydney Light Rail PPP - we acted for the financiers of the ALTRAC Light Rail Consortium, which has been appointed to deliver the AU$2bn+ Sydney Light Rail PPP. This public–private partnership project involves the design, build, operate, maintain and finance of a new light rail line.
- Infrastructure disputes – advised on highly confidential disputes relating to the design and construction of major transport, energy and social infrastructure, including in relation to international arbitration and court proceedings.
Awards and accolades
- Winner Asia-Pacific PPP Deal of the Year 2015 award by Project Finance International (PFI) for advising the financiers to the Sydney Light Rail PPP project
- Winner TMT Finance Telecom Infrastructure Deal of the Year 2015 award and IJGlobal APAC Best Telcoms Deal 2015 award for advising the acquirer of Crown Castle Australia
- Ranked 2nd – Asia Pacific Legal Advisers, IJGlobal Infrastructure League Table 2015
- Finalist Transaction Team of the Year 2015 award at the Australian Law Awards for our Infrastructure M&A team