"They fire on all cylinders; they are smart, strategic, experienced and prompt."
Energy & Natural Resources - Australia
Chambers Asia Pacific 2016
We support some of the world’s largest mining companies, and their investors and financiers on the development, funding and operation of major projects and related disputes and transactions. We also advise governments on the commercialisation and regulation of their natural resources, particularly in emerging markets in the Asia Pacific region.
Our team has been involved in projects in almost every part of the world, and are highly regarded for their knowledge and experience in jurisdictions including Indonesia, Papua New Guinea, Africa, and South America.
The team advises across all classes of mining commodities including all precious metals, base metals and bulk commodities.
Examples of our recent work
- Responding to commodity price downturns: we have are advising a number of local and international mining companies on their response to current market conditions. This confidential work has included providing strategic advice relating to organisational restructuring, contract negotiations and asset sales.
- Refinancing of African copper project: we advised Tiger Resources and its principal subsidiary Société d’Exploitation de Kipoi S.A. on a US$162.5 million senior debt facility in 2015. This refinanced Tiger’s existing debt facilities and provided approximately US$25 million to fund the expansion of its Kipoi Copper Project in the Democratic Republic of the Congo.
- Refinancing of Indonesian copper project – working with our Indonesian associate firm, we advised ASX-listed Finders Resources on a US$165m refinancing for its Wetar Copper project in Indonesia. This was awarded ‘Best Mining Deal’ at the IJGlobal Asia Awards 2015.
- Major new coal mine project: we act as primary legal advisor for POSCO E&C on its involvement in the development of the $16.5bn Carmichael Coal Project in Queensland. This includes the delivery of a new $1bn port terminal at Abbot Point and a $2bn standard gauge rail line.
- Regulation of coal rail access: we are advising the Queensland Competition Authority on the multi-billion dollar access undertaking for the Central Queensland Coal Network.
- Iron ore rail access: advising Brookfield on the negotiation of key regulated, long term iron ore access arrangements in the mid-West region of Western Australia.
- Iron ore investment: advising KEXIM, the Export Import Bank of Korea, on a proposed hybrid investment into the Roy Hill iron ore project in Western Australia.
- Coal mine operation and closure: we advised Isaac Plains Coal Management (IPCM), a joint venture between Vale and Sumitomo Corporation, on all aspects of the development and operation of the Isaac Plains Coal Mine and the Isaac Plains South Project. Following the sustained downturn in coal prices, we assisted IPCM with placing the mine into care and maintenance in 2015.
- Mining equipment dispute: we are advising a PNG-based mining client on a dispute with a UK-based contractor relating to the supply, design, manufacture and installation of critical, custom-built mining equipment.
- Mining services collapse: we are providing ongoing advice to the receivers and managers of major mining and energy services company Forge Group. The ASX-listed multinational company collapsed in 2014 with $800m in debts.
- Financing of cross-border mining company takeover: we advised Bank of China Limited and China Development Bank Corporation on their financing of Guangdong Rising Assets Management’s (GRAM) successful $1.2bn takeover of Australian gold and copper miner PanAust Limited in 2015.