Life sciences and healthcare
Our global life sciences and healthcare team advises a range of innovative pharmaceutical, medical device and biotechnology companies as well as investors in the sector. We provide cutting-edge advice on the full range of legal issues that arise in the sector, from regulatory and compliance strategy through to patent litigation and corporate transactions.
In a period of global uncertainty, the sector faces a raft of legal and commercial hurdles that can affect the ability of many companies to do business in the industry. From the consequences of the patent cliff through to increased scrutiny by local regulatory authorities worldwide, our experienced lawyers effectively guide the world’s leading life sciences and healthcare corporations in navigating this difficult landscape.
We were the first global legal practice to establish a dedicated health law group. Our healthcare team acts for numerous clients in the healthcare sector, including hospitals and health systems, academic medical centres, retail pharmacies and wholesale distributors, physician groups and health insurers.
We handle both domestic and cross-border matters throughout Europe, the United States, Canada, Latin America, Asia, Australia, Africa, the Middle East and Central Asia, offering an integrated service to our life sciences and healthcare clients across the globe.
- Professional legal and scientific knowledge. Many of our professionals have scientific and technology backgrounds which are invaluable in providing advice which addresses the complex science and technology at the heart of many deals and disputes.
- Deep industry knowledge and practical understanding.
- Support at all stages of the product lifecycle from innovation to funding, product development, exploitation, surveillance and enforcement.
- Guidance on the regulatory and legal framework in the sector.
- Experience to guide to clients through issues of transfer pricing
- Expertise in product and re-imbursement and promotional issues
- Dispute mediation specialists with experience in product liability.
- Leading expertise in patent litigation; having prevailed in a number of the largest and most complex pharmaceutical patent lawsuits.
- Capability to advise clients on antitrust and competition issues around the globe.
- Experience of significant worldwide corporate and commercial transactions acting for pharmaceutical companies, biotechs and VCs, including capital markets, M&A and licensing transactions.
- Broad experience in government investigations and grand jury proceedings.
- Extensive coverage in emerging markets including over 800 lawyers in Asia Pacific.
Our areas of work include
- patent and other IP litigation
- product liability
- IP strategies
- fund raising and investment
- antitrust and litigation
- regulatory and compliance
- labour and employment
- government investigations
- projects and financing.
Our recent work
- Acting for numerous innovator clients in patent infringement actions in Canada including Pfizer, Eli Lilly, Merck, Servier and Gilead.
- Advising Domtar Corporation on its €180m of Attends Healthcare. This was Domtar's first substantial acquisition outside North America and consolidated its ownership of the Attends brand on both sides of the Atlantic. This complex cross-border transaction utilized resources from our offices in UK, Canada, Germany, Belgium and the Netherlands.
- Representing a leading US pharmaceutical company in four separate class actions in Canada as part of a global team of lawyers defending product liability claims.
- Advising one of the world’s largest medical device companies on a case before the French Supreme Court concerning the seizure of electronic mailboxes during dawn raids carried out by competition authorities. The Supreme Court found in favour of our client and for the first time did not support the seizure methods of the competition authorities.
- Acting for a major US medical device manufacturer defend product liability claims relating to a hip replacement product in Australia, Canada and the Czech Republic.
- Advised Hong Capital on its HK$8.98bn sale of its interest in a group of pharmaceutical companies in the PRC to China Pharmaceutical Group Limited.
- Advised a consortium of investors on the acquisition of a portfolio of 12 UK private hospitals from Spire Healthcare Group.
- Advised multi-member Texas based healthcare system on the sale of the system to a for-profit hospital company.