"Overall my impression of the firm was that its lawyers were highly qualified and professional." - Chambers Australia 2018.
[The firm is a] "global player" [also saying] "It feels young and fast-developing, entrepreneurial and challenging the traditional legal status quo." - Chambers Australia 2018.
Our national construction and engineering practice is one of the most highly regarded practices in the market. Our recent combination with Henry Davis York provides our clients with even greater depth and scale of resources, with the team now consisting of 13 partners operating across the country. James Morgan-Payler leads our national construction team.
Asia Pacific’s leading companies choose our construction and engineering team for its transactional experts, highly specialist disputes practice and outstanding track record. Our depth of experience comes from working on many of the region's most significant and complex construction projects.
We have a particular focus on the development of large scale infrastructure, property, energy and resources projects globally. Having advised some of the largest operators, we can offer our clients a legal team with unrivalled strength in these markets.
We are the only firm with a deep understanding of our clients' technology. From power generation to hydro carbon extraction, technology is the cornerstone of their business. We have domestic and international arbitration capability across all sectors which rely on technical engineering disciplines, including oil and gas, power generation and mining.
Our people are exceptional. They continually come face-to-face with the legal issues that confront contractors, developers, consultants, and government, and know-how to resolve them, whether they are on or offshore.
Our transactional expertise includes procurement strategy, project structuring, negotiation and preparation of contracts. Our post-contract skill set includes the provision of dispute avoidance and commercial optimisation advice along with the full range of negotiation, claims, and dispute capabilities. Our ability to provide an end-to-end service across the lifespan of any construction project is unique in the market.
We are a truly international practice not limited by state or country boundaries. In cross-border matters, we guarantee a quality service in all jurisdictions because we use specialists from our local offices. We are used to working across time zones, meeting the local requirements that cross-border deals necessitate without losing sight of the broader commercial imperatives.
Our areas of work include
- a highly-regarded team dedicated exclusively to construction and engineering, including industry experts across all sectors which rely on technical engineering
- significant expertise in cross-border projects and transactions, including analysis on the "market" risk profile in other jurisdictions due to our global reach
- market-leading expertise in dispute resolution, with both domestic and international arbitration capability
- a full-service solution throughout a project's life span, from front end procurement strategy advice to project structuring, negotiation, preparation of contracts, post-contract risk optimisation and commercial close-out including dispute resolution.
Awards and accolades
- Chambers Australia Construction, Band 2, Chambers 2018
- Legal 500 Australia Construction, Tier 2, Legal 500 2018