We specialise and have experience in all aspects of the telecommunications and communications industry in Australia including:
- liaising with regulators and industry bodies such as the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission, the Australian Communications Authority, the Department of Communications, IT and the Arts and the Australian Communications Industry Forum
- advising on carrier rights and obligations particularly in relation to the installation and maintenance of telecommunications facilities and land and infrastructure access issues
- access and interconnection to broadband and wireless networks and facilities
- negotiating wholesale and retail agreements including capacity service agreements and key customer supply agreements
- telecommunications and radiocommunications licensing issues including compliance and enforcement of access rights and obligations
- advising on environmental, planning and property law issues relating to “trunk” infrastructure including fibre-optic cables and microwave networks
- advising on project financing
- advising financiers, acquirers and sellers in relation to the sale of telecommunications assets, and
- conducting IPOs and other legal work for players in the new media
Our telecommunications regulatory practice worldwide offers advice on regulatory issues in international telecoms M&A, joint ventures and licence bids (including high-level regulatory due diligence measured against international regulatory benchmarks), regulatory compliance, using the regulator to secure clients’ rights, and even challenging the regulators’ decisions in the courts.
We also offer a competition (anti-trust) law service. This includes securing merger control clearances for international telecoms transactions – as well as use of competition rules in respect of interconnection agreements, rights of access, pricing, bundling, etc.