Sustainable development is about meeting the needs of today without compromising the needs of future generations, by protecting human health, conserving the environment, using resources efficiently and advancing long-term economic competitiveness.
Canadian practice overview
Our efforts towards sustainability are governed by a commitment to planning and implementing ecoenergetic, environmentally safe measures to ensure that our office buildings, operations and tenants are more efficient.
They focus on energy efficiency and air quality control, water management and consumption, the use of materials and re-use of surplus materials, the quality of interior spaces and the ecological development of exterior sites.
- Recycling bins are located at our photocopy, network printing and work stations, as well as in our offices, meeting rooms, lounges, coffee corners and kitchens.
- Paper, plastic, glass, metal and cardboard are recycled by our buildings’ supplier.
- Our confidential documents can be shredded and recycled in dedicated bins.
- E-waste diversion - collection areas are located at our buildings’ loading docks or on specific floors for equipment (personal computers, cell phones and chargers, home phones, monitors, fax machines, batteries, fluorescent light tubes, etc.)
- Our new equipment, including personal computers and monitors, are ENERGY STAR certified.
- Our stationery is purchased with recycled content when possible and items are recycled or reused among our team members.
- Eco-friendly paper is used.
- Recycled toner and laser cartridges are used.
- Refillable bottles are used for hand soap and dishwashing liquid.
- Eco-friendly cleaning products are used.
- Our dishwashers have been upgraded to industrial, high-efficiency units that use less water and soap.
- Our leftover lunch boxes are sent once or twice a week to homeless shelters.
- Our coffee is made using filters instead of single servings.
- Wooden stir sticks are provided instead of plastic ones.
- Filtered-water units are provided in kitchens and coffee corners.
- Water pitchers are provided for all our meetings (plastic bottles are provided only upon request for special events).
- Ceramic mugs have replaced Styrofoam cups.
- Electronic forms, manuals, templates are developed and implemented on an ongoing basis.
- Our faxes are distributed electronically.
- All our network printers are set to default to double-sided printing.
- Our banner pages are turned off.
- All construction adheres to building requirements with respect to products used and the recycling of building materials.
- All equipment purchased is ENERGY STAR certified and disposed of either through donations or recycling.
- Old or damaged furniture is either repaired, sold or donated (every effort is made to avoid sending it to a landfill).
- Motion detectors are installed in all offices (lights turn off automatically if no one is in the office).
- Showers, bike racks and storage are available to everyone in order to encourage cycling, jogging and walking.