Large national and international issuers, as well as mid-size and entrepreneurial businesses, rely on us to help them manage a wide range of corporate finance and securities transactions. Dealers and advisors come to us for customized, time-sensitive advice on their regulatory, product development and underwriting matters.
Clients value our commercial and pragmatic approach and continue to come to us for several reasons, including:
- Expert advice in a variety of transactions: Our Canadian team regularly advises on a variety of transactions including equity offerings, convertible and exchangeable bonds, covered bond programs, medium term notes, t-bills, commercial paper, credit default swap programmes, IPOs and follow-on offerings, private placements, secondary offerings, rights issues and Rule 144A offerings.
- Particular strength in energy, mining and financial institutions: We’ve acted for energy, mining and financial institutions clients (both as issuers and as underwriters) on some of Canada’s largest and most innovative corporate finance and securities transactions
- International capabilities: Our global team has an on the ground presence in six continents and can provide Canadian clients with a seamless service on a wide range of cross border and foreign market transactions.
- Leading regulatory and best practices advice: Members of our team advise boards of directors and issuers on best corporate governance practices, and provide corporate governance audits, workshops and implementation.
Rankings and accolades
- Chambers Canada, Nationwide: Capital Markets, Chambers and Partners, 2018
- Chambers Canada, Nationwide: Banking and Finance, Chambers and Partners, 2018
- Chambers Canada, Nationwide: Corporate/M&A, Chambers and Partners, 2018
- Chambers Global, Canada: Banking and Finance, Chambers and Partners, 2017
- Chambers Global, Canada: Corporate/M&A, Chambers and Partners, 2017
- IFLR 1000, Canada: Banking, IFLR 1000, 2017
- IFLR 1000, Canada: Mergers and Acquisitions, IFLR 1000, 2017
- IFLR 1000, Canada: Capital Markets, IFLR 1000, 2017
- Legal 500, Canada: Banking and Finance, Legal 500, 2017
- Legal 500, Canada: Corporate and M&A, Legal 500, 2017
- Legal 500, Canada: Capital Markets, Legal 500, 2017
Select client work
- Cenovus Energy, a leading Canadian oilsands company in respect of a US$1.25 billion debt offering, split between a offering of 10 year and 30 year senior unsecured notes
- Royal Bank of Canada in respect of establishing its US$15 billion global covered bond programme and $13 billion of subsequent issuances there-under, including a US$2.5 billion U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission registered offering – the first ever covered bond to be registered with the SEC
- Niko Resources in respect of a $172 million offering of common shares and concurrent $100m offering of convertible unsecured senior notes.
- AuRico Gold in respect of its US$300 million issuer bid
- PSP Capital Inc. in connection the concurrent issuances of $900 million of its 2.26% Notes, Series 4, and $350 million of its Floating Rate Notes, Series
- Crescent Point Energy in connection with its $800 million offering of common shares
- NCE Diversified Flow-Through LPs in connection with their various public offering of units, totalling hundreds of millions of dollars. The LPs are created for the purpose of investing in flow-through shares of resources issuers and renewable energy companies
- The underwriters in the $365 million initial public offering of the Hudson’s Bay Company, the largest IPO of 2012
- In connection with the issuance by Bell Canada of $1 billion of 4.40% medium term note debentures
- In connection with the $125 million offering of convertible debentures by Daylight Resources Trust
- On the Canadian National Stock Exchange initial public offering of Brookfield New Horizons Income Fund — at close, the largest IPO in CNSX history
- The underwriters In connection with Gibson Energy’s $403 million offering of subscription receipts
- In connection with the $200 million issuance of 5-year rate reset preferred shares by Bell Aliant Preferred Equity, a subsidiary of Bell Aliant
- In connection with issuances by TransCanada Corporation of $350 million of cumulative redeemable first preferred shares and a $550 million follow on offering of cumulative redeemable first preferred shares - the largest reset preferred share deal in Canadian history