Our Canadian Corporate and Commercial Practice Group supports our clients through each stage of their corporate growth by providing experience and pragmatic advice on both day-to-day business issues and long-term strategic initiatives, including the establishment of a new business, acquisitions, financing, strategic alliances, outsourcing, joint ventures and other critical endeavours.
Our technical expertise, deep industry knowledge, and corporate and commercial acumen is relied upon and valued by our clients for various reasons:
- Focus on our clients’ success – We are committed to the success of our clients. Knowing our clients’ businesses and understanding what drives their industries is fundamental to us. We obtain a clear understanding of our clients’ business objectives and partner with them to achieve those objectives.
- Full service support – Our full service practice enables us to provide comprehensive legal solutions. We provide expertise in areas such as tax, banking, capital markets, competition/antitrust, foreign investment review, litigation, employment and labour, pensions and benefits, intellectual property, environmental and real estate.
- Global expertise – The collective talent and resources of Norton Rose Fulbright will be at your disposal for all your global corporate and commercial needs. In addition to our Canadian team, we have extensive international coverage across Europe, Asia Pacific (including Australia), Africa, the Middle East, Latin America and the USA.
Rankings and accolades
- Chambers Canada, Quebec: Corporate Commercial: The Elite (Band 1), Chambers and Partners, 2018
- Chambers Canada, British Columbia: Corporate Commercial: Highly Regarded, Chambers and Partners, 2018
- Chambers Canada, Alberta: Corporate Commercial: The Elite, Chambers and Partners, 2018
- Chambers Canada, Ontario: Corporate Commercial: The Elite, Chambers and Partners, 2018
- Chambers Canada, Nationwide: Corporate/M&A, Chambers and Partners, 2018
- Chambers Global, Canada: Corporate/M&A, Chambers and Partners, 2018
- Legal 500, Canada: Corporate and M&A, The Legal 500, 2018
- IFLR 1000, Canada: Mergers and Acquisitions, IFLR 1000, 2018
Select client work
- Royal DSM N.V. and DSM Acquisition Canada Inc. in the acquisition of all of the outstanding shares of Ocean Nutrition Canada Limited.
- Bombardier Inc. in the closing of a €500 million unsecured revolving credit facility with a syndicate of international financial institutions made available to Bombardier’s transportation group. (2012)
- PETRONAS in its acquisition of Progress Energy Resources Corp. for approximately C$5.8 billion. The transaction was completed by way of plan of arrangement following an extensive regulatory review process. (2012)
- Nortel in the unprecedented US$4.5 billion sale of its patent portfolio. (2011)
- A major Canadian financial institution in connection with numerous IT procurement services, hosted and outsourced services transactions, including a recent multimillion dollar, international, multijurisdictional videoconferencing procurement, maintenance and services solution.
- Borealis Infrastructure Management in its $1.3-billion acquisition of the diagnostic laboratory division of MDS Inc., an autonomous entity, except for IT services provided by MDS Inc., and the negotiation of arrangements to provide for the migration and transition of IT systems and services to the diagnostic laboratory business acquired.
- CGI Information Systems and Management Consultants Inc. in its $90-million, seven-year IT outsourcing of mainframe and mid-range equipment, and data storage services with Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance Company of Canada.
- A leading international computer manufacturer in connection with numerous commercial contracts, including distribution and procurement transactions, software development and licensing and the continued development of standard form customer contracts and licenses.
- The corporate/investment banking/capital markets division of a major Canadian financial institution in its negotiation of numerous direct market access trading system agreements permitting the use of its trading systems by clients to access various Canadian securities marketplaces, including the Toronto Stock Exchange.
- Special Committee of the trustees of Enbridge Commercial Trust on a C$1.164-billion acquisition of crude oil storage and renewable power generation assets from Enbridge Inc.
- JX Nippon Oil & Energy (Australia) PTY Ltd. (JX Australia), a subsidiary of JX Nippon Oil and Energy Corporation and its listed parent JX Holdings Inc. in its US$435-million acquisition of a 25% interest in the metallurgical coal business of Xstrata Coal Canada Limited with assets located in the North-Eastern British Columbia coal region.