Sara Zborovski practises regulatory, commercial and intellectual property law. She assists companies regulated by Health Canada in obtaining market access and in all areas of compliance. Ms. Zborovski has experience in a wide range of matters involving the innovative pharmaceutical and biotechnology, natural health product, medical device and food and beverage industries.
Ms. Zborovski advises clients on product classification, clinical trials, market authorization and market access strategies, including clinical trial applications and agreements, product licence strategies, market access strategies (including assistance with the Common Drug Review and formulary listings) and establishment licensing and GMP programs. She also assists companies regulated by the Patented Medicine Prices Review Board.
On the compliance side, Ms. Zborovski assists clients in developing SOPs and compliance policies, ensuring compliant packaging and labelling (including label reviews) and provides strategic advice on advertising and marketing programs (including assistance with pre-clearance agencies and representing companies in disputes before the Pharmaceutical Advertising Advisory Board and Advertising Standards Canada). She also advises clients on federal and provincial privacy laws, particularly as these relate to healthcare, and federal and provincial access to information and freedom of information matters.
Ms. Zborovski also works with clients in all industries on matters relating to product safety, including crisis management, advocacy before the inspectorate and product recalls.
Ms. Zborovski has particular experience with Federal Court review of regulatory decisions, lobbying and the Patented Medicines (Notice of Compliance) Regulations. She is an active member of the Canadian IP and advocacy communities, a regular contributor to a number of publications and an active blogger on food safety and other regulatory matters.
B.A., McGill University, 1996
LL.B., University of Toronto, 2000
- New York State Bar 2001
- Ontario 2002
Rankings and recognitions
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, (2017): recommended in Biotechnology
- LMG Life Sciences, Life Science Star (Regulatory), 2013-2015
- Chair, Health Canada Regulatory Reforms Summit, Toronto, June 22‑23, 2015.
- “Global Issues: An Analysis of International Approval and Promotion Process,” Food and Drug Law Institute (FDLI) Annual Conference, April 2015.
- Session leader, 21st Annual Advertising and Marketing Law Conference, The Canadian Institute, Toronto, January 26‑27, 2015.
- “Health Canada’s Partnership with Industry - Growing Brand Value and Protecting Sustainable Innovation,” Powering Growth Through Sustainability and Innovation, BDO seminar, MIssissauga, Ontario, June 10, 2014.
Memberships and activities
- Food and Drug Law Institute's Global Committee, member-at-large
- Instructor, Institute for Food Laws and Regulations Online Course, Michigan State University
- A chair of the University Tribunal, University of Toronto
- Cross-Border Health Dialogue Foundation, Board member (secretary)
- Director, Food Law and Regulatory, Board of the Canadian Institute of Food Science and Technology (national)
Our Life sciences and healthcare team hosted on Wednesday, May 16, 2018 a morning session where industry experts and our lawyers presented a series of sessions on how regulatory changes, disruptive technology and innovation are impacting the life sciences and healthcare sectors..
Wednesday, May 16, 2018
Pursuant to a new regulation made under the Cannabis Act, 2017, S.O. 2017, (the Ontario Cannabis Act), activities respecting industrial hemp will not be regulated pursuant to the Ontario Cannabis Act..
May 31, 2018
This year, Canada’s federal government laid out plans to legalize the sale of adult use cannabis..
April 19, 2018
Norton Rose Fulbright is pleased to announce that Sara Zborovski has joined the Toronto office as a partner. She joins the firm from DLA Piper where she was also a partner..
May 10, 2016