Margaret Mason, QC
Margaret Mason is a charities lawyer with more than 30 years of experience advising donors, charities and other tax-exempt organizations and their boards, often on highly sensitive and complex matters. In addition to advising on gift plans, incorporations, charitable registration, governance, fundraising and Canada Revenue Agency audit matters, she helps clients consider operational structures that allow them to navigate complex legal and regulatory environments particularly with respect to the creation of multi-use affordable housing projects, social enterprises and international development. She has worked extensively with healthcare, environmental, sport and housing organizations.
She speaks and teaches widely in the areas of governance, regulatory compliance and board skill development.
LL.B., University of British Columbia, 1985
B.A., McGill University, 1982
Ms. Mason has been involved in the following matters:
- Incorporation, governance advice and corporate secretary for the Pacific Carbon Trust, a Crown agent created by British Columbia to purchase greenhouse gas offsets to ensure the carbon neutrality of the Government of British Columbia
- Incorporation, structuring advice and ongoing counsel to the Aqueduct Foundation, a public foundation that facilitates planning of significant philanthropic gifts using donor-advised funds
- Advising the Vancity Community Foundation, a public foundation that makes grants to charitable organizations, with an innovative focus on affordable housing and homelessness, community asset building and social enterprise
- Incorporation, charitable registration and ongoing counsel to the Stephen Lewis Foundation, which supports community-level organizations that are turning the tide of HIV/AIDS in Africa by providing care and support to women, orphans, grandmothers and people living with HIV and AIDS
Rankings and recognitions
- Chambers Canada, Nationwide: Charities/Non-profits (Band 1), Chambers and Partners, 2018
- Chambers High Net Worth Guide, 2017: Private Wealth Law - Canada
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, (2016-2017): recommended in Charities / Not for Profit Law and Estate & Personal Tax Planning
- Best Lawyers in Canada: Recognized as a leading lawyer in the areas of Corporate Governance Practice and Trusts + Estates (2017, 2016); Named the "2014 Lawyer of the Year" in the area of Trusts and Estates for Vancouver
- Chambers Canada: Recognized as a leading lawyer in the area of Private Client (2017)
- Chambers High Net Worth Guide: Recognized as a leading lawyer in the area of Private Client (2016)
- LexisNexis - Martindale-Hubbell: BV Peer Review Rated
- Canadian Association of Gift Planners: Recipient of the Friend of CAGP
Memberships and activities
- Director, Imagine Canada
- Director, BC Law Institute
- Vice-chair and director, Canadian Sport Institute Pacific
- Chair, 2010 Games Operating Trust
- Chair, Government Relations Committee, Canadian Association of Gift Planners
- Past-chair, National Charities Section, Canadian Bar Association
- Director, Saint Mary’s Health Foundation of New Westminster
- Estate Planning Council, Vancouver
On Tuesday, September 12, Norton Rose Fulbright held its first annual seminar in Calgary for charities, foundations, not-for-profit and tax-exempt organizations to discuss important legal issues in the sector..
Tuesday, September 12, 2017
Welcome to our estates, trusts and wealth management publication series, where you will find a range of articles related to estate planning, estate and trust administration and charities law..
September 28, 2017