Colleen Abel practises primarily corporate and commercial law, with a focus on energy and natural resources. Her practice involves providing legal advice to oil and gas corporate clients, as well as negotiating and drafting agreements. She has a variety of experience from due diligence and title review to interpretation, preparation and negotiation of agreements.
Ms. Abel has returned to the firm after having spent a number of years working at an intermediate oil and gas producer as in-house counsel, where she worked on numerous transactions for the acquisition and divestment of oil and gas-related assets, as well as provision of legal services to all areas of the company, including joint venture, finance, marketing, engineering and operations. Prior to her in-house experience, Colleen was an articling student and associate with us.
- J.D., University of Saskatchewan, 2009
- B.Comm., University of Saskatchewan, 2009
Colleen has acted in the following matters:
- PETRONAS Carigali Canada Ltd. in connection with: (i) its approximate C$5.8 billion acquisition of Progress Energy Resources Corp.; and (ii) its C$1.1 billion acquisition of shale gas assets from Progress Energy Resources Corp.
- Advising and acting for clients on domestic oil and gas matters and transactions, including acquisitions and divestitures, joint ventures, title review, royalty issues and oil and gas leasing matters
- Drafting and negotiating domestic energy-related agreements, including purchase and sale agreements, royalty agreements and joint venture agreements
- Drafting and advising on various commercial agreements, including loan/security agreements, services agreements and confidentiality agreements
Rankings and recognitions
- Dean's List, University of Saskatchewan, College of Commerce, 2003-2006
- University of Saskatchewan, College of Law Entrance Scholarship, 2006
Memberships and activities
- Canadian Bar Association
- Law Society of Alberta
- Calgary Bar Association