Colleen Abel practises primarily corporate and commercial law, with a focus on energy and natural resources. Her practice involves providing legal advice to oil and gas corporate clients, as well as negotiating and drafting agreements. She has a variety of experience from due diligence and title review to interpretation, preparation and negotiation of agreements.
Ms. Abel has returned to us after working at an intermediate oil and gas producer as in-house counsel, where she worked on numerous transactions for the acquisition and divestment of oil and gas-related assets, as well as provision of legal services to all areas of the company, including joint venture, finance, marketing, engineering and operations. Prior to her in-house experience, Colleen was an articling student and associate with us.
- J.D., University of Saskatchewan, 2009
- B.Comm., University of Saskatchewan, 2009
Colleen has acted in the following matters:
- PETRONAS Carigali Canada Ltd. in connection with: (i) its C$5.8 billion acquisition of Progress Energy Resources Corp.; and (ii) its C$1.1 billion acquisition of shale gas assets from Progress Energy Resources Corp.
- Advising and acting for clients on domestic oil and gas matters and transactions, including acquisitions and divestitures, joint ventures, title review, royalty issues and oil and gas leasing matters
- Drafting and negotiating domestic energy-related agreements, including purchase and sale agreements, royalty agreements and joint venture agreements
- Drafting and advising on various commercial agreements, including loan/security agreements, services agreements and confidentiality agreements
Rankings and recognitions
- Dean's List, University of Saskatchewan, College of Commerce, 2003-2006
- University of Saskatchewan, College of Law Entrance Scholarship, 2006
Memberships and activities
- Canadian Bar Association
- Law Society of Alberta
- Calgary Bar Association