Fahad Siddiqui specializes in urgent and high-stakes litigation. He acts in corporate, shareholder, financial product, and regulatory disputes and appears in all levels of court.
Fahad previously clerked at the Supreme Court of Canada, the Court of Appeal for Ontario, and the High Court of Delhi. He joined us after practicing at a leading international law firm in New York City and a litiation boutique in Toronto where he represented clients in the financial services, healthcare, technology, energy, food services, and infrastructure industries.
Fahad has guest lectured on Appellate Advocacy at Osgoode Hall Law School and published in peer-reviewed academic journals. His pro bono service includes cases heard by the Supreme Court of Canada and the Supreme Court of the United States and a one-year term as a director of a legal-aid clinic serving low-income Torontonians.
Fahad is fluent in French and conversant in Hindi, Urdu, and Arabic.
J.D., Osgoode Hall Law School, 2013
M.A. (International Law), School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London, 2009
B.A. (History / Politics), Trinity College, University of Toronto, 2007
- Securities: negotiated resolutions to lawsuits alleging securities fraud against leading insurance, infrastructure, and pharmaceutical companies.
- M&A: resisted lawsuit brought by preferred shareholders seeking to prevent manufacturing conglomerate from completing sale involving $200 billion of financial assets.
- Technology: resisted action threatened by multinational corporation against Canadian developer of aeronautical and automotive testing technologies.
- Cross-Border: successful on motion prohibiting acquisition of evidence in the US for use in proposed $1 billion class action in Ontario alleging price-fixing in the foreign exchange market.
- Regulatory: counsel in challenges to statutory and regulatory amendments and regulatory investigations.
- Broker / Dealer: obtained settlement in suit alleging breach of fiduciary duty and fraudulent misrepresentation against global broker/dealer of foreign exchange contracts.
- Urgent Injunctions: obtained emergency injunctions for leading reinsurance multinational requiring return of confidential software code.
- Restructuring: part of team that successfully obtained $150 million in debtor-in-possession financing for distressed retailer.
- Public Sector: defeated motion for stay of technology company's breach of contract and negligence lawsuit against provincial government.
- Defamation: defeated anti-SLAPP motion seeking dismissal of $2.5 million defamation claim brought by corporate and individual plaintiffs.
"Much Ado About § 1782: Compelling American Discovery for Use in Canadian Class Actions," Annual Review of Civil Litigation.
"The Coalition Provisional Authority and Iraq: Investment Law and Policy in Action," Osgoode Hall Review of Law and Policy.
"Internationalizing Gosselin: A Retrospective Case Comment," Canadian Journal of Poverty Law.
Memberships and activities
- Canadian Bar Association
- Ontario Bar Association
- Law Society of Ontario
- The Advocates' Society
On August 30, the Federal Court of Appeal (FCA or Court) denied the federal government’s approval of the Trans Mountain pipeline expansion project (Project)..
September 14, 2018
On September 5 the Court of Appeal for Ontario issued its decision in Lavender v. Miller Bernstein LLP, 2018 ONCA 729. .
September 12, 2018
Fahad Siddiqui argues in an opinion piece that the Canadian courts don't share the same “deep ideological and partisan divisions” as the U.S. courts..
September 14, 2018
Fahad Siddiqui quoted on victory in Ontario Superior Court in $2.5 million defamation case..
June 22, 2018