Dawn P. Whittaker
Dawn Whittaker is a mergers and acquisitions and capital markets partner based in Toronto. She assists both public and private companies and has extensive experience in both domestic and international M&A and corporate finance transactions, joint ventures and strategic alliances. Ms. Whittaker also advises on corporate governance matters, directors and officers’ liabilities, shareholder rights and a variety of corporate commercial transactions.
Ms. Whittaker is currently a member of our partnership committee in Canada, has acted as the Canadian leader of our mining and commodities team and is a former leader of our Toronto securities group. She is the editor of Norton Rose Fulbright’s Guide to Mining Projects and Mining Finance in Canada and the author of the CCH Canadian Securities Law Reporter chapter on “Continuous Disclosure.”
Ms. Whittaker was a member of the Ontario Securities Commission’s Continuous Disclosure Advisory Committee from 2006 to 2008 and a member of the Canadian Investor Relations Institute's (CIRI) Issues Committee from 2008 to 2010.
Year of call
British Columbia 1992
LL.B., Queen's University, 1986
B.A., Queen’s University, 1983
- “Going Back to the Well - New Existing Shareholder Financing Rules and Proposed New Rights Offering Rules,” 20 Minute Webinar with Live Q&A, December 8, 2014.
- “Good faith and honesty in contractual performance: The Supreme Court of Canada’s decision in Bhasin v. Hyrnew,” 20 minute Webinar with Live Q&A, December 4, 2014.
- “Taxation Issues in Mining,” Norton Rose Fulbright webinar, November 26, 2014.
- “Mandatory Disclosure for the Extractive Industry,” Norton Rose Fulbright webinar, October 31, 2014.
- “IIROC’s Proposed Guidance on Underwriting Due Diligence,” Norton Rose Fulbright webinar, May 1, 2014.
- “Say on Pay Update,” Canadian Investor Relations Institute Conference, June 2010.
- “Social Media and Securities Law,” Canadian Investor Relations Institute Annual Conference, June 2010.
- “Important 2010 Federal Budget Tax Changes Affect Compensation and Incentive Plans: Update on Insider Reporting Requirements,” Ogilvy Renault presentation, April 8, 2010.
- “International Financial Reporting Standards Update,” Ogilvy Renault presentation, June 11, 2009.
- “2009 IFRS In Canada - Business Issues and Conversion Strategies,” Acumen Information, May 26‑27, 2009.
Selected client work
Ms. Whittaker has acted recently for the following clients:
- A Canadian operating mining company in connection with a multi-year commodities trade financing arrangement initially in the amount of approximately $80 million
- Rambler Metals & Mining PLC (TSXV- and AIM-listed copper-gold mining company) in connection with the subscription by specialized mining and mineral investment funds advised by Plinian Capital Limited for approximately $20 million of ordinary shares and warrants of Rambler exercisable to purchase further ordinary shares for approximately $18 million to acquire up to 75% control of the company
- Pinetree Capital Ltd. (TSX-listed diversified investment and merchant banking firm) in connection with a prospectus exempt rights offering resulting in the change of control of the company
- Porter Aviation Holdings Inc. in connection with the sale of a passenger terminal at Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport to a consortium of Canadian and international infrastructure equity investors
- An operating mining company in connection with C$350 million secured project finance transactions and off-take and distribution arrangements
- Yamana Gold Inc. in connection with its joint acquisition with Agnico Eagle Mining Limited of Osisko Mining Corporation for C$3.9 billion and the joint venture between Yamana and Agnico Eagle
- ArcelorMittal in the sale of a 15% interest in its wholly owned subsidiary, ArcelorMittal Mines Canada, for US$1.1 billion to a consortium led by South Korea’s POSCO and Taiwan’s China Steel Corporation and the joint venture between ArcelorMittal and the consortium
- Barrick Gold Corporation in connection with its C$7.8 billion takeover of Equinox Minerals Corporation
- ArcelorMittal in connection with its C$600 million joint takeover bid with Nunavut Iron Ore Acquisition Inc. for Baffinland Iron Mines Corporation
Rankings and recognitions
Memberships and activities
- Canadian Cancer Society, Ontario Division
- Nominating and Governance Committee (2010-2013)
- Canadian Investor Relations Institute (CIRI)
- Issues Committee (2008-2009)
- Editorial Board, Newsline (magazine for members) (2008-2010)
- Ontario Securities Commission’s Continuous Disclosure Advisory Committee (2006 to 2008)
- Instructor, University of Toronto School of Continuing Studies, various undergraduate and postgraduate law and business courses (1986-1992)
Memberships and activities
- Kirkland Lake Gold Inc.
- Chair, Governance and Nominating Committee
- Member, Compensation Committee
- Member, Audit Committee
December 8, 2014
"This is the biggest and most complex Ebola outbreak in history." Tom Frieden, Director U.S. Centers for Disease Control .
August 20, 2014
A collection of commentary from our Canadian and Latin America mining teams..
June 11, 2014
Dawn Whittaker provides her insights in Canadian Lawyer’s industry spotlight column on mining. .
June 29, 2015
Dawn Whittaker comments in a Lexpert feature article on how finding financing in the mining sector has become more challenging.
June 23, 2015