Michel Carle has vast experience of employment and labour law.
Over the course of his career, he has acquired in-depth knowledge of the manufacturing, retail and food industries in particular. He also has valuable experience in representing employers during unionization campaigns, on applications for certification and in collective bargaining. Mr. Carle provides ongoing advice and acts on behalf of a number of companies in matters relating to labour law, labour standards, employment termination, psychological harassment, discrimination, grievance arbitration and corporate restructuring and mergers.
Mr. Carle also acts for various construction companies before the Quebec Superior Court and the Commission des relations du travail du Québec (Quebec labour relations board), particularly in jurisdictional disputes.
LL.L., Université de Montréal, 1981
- Mr. Carle has represented and advised numerous employers, particularly with regard to certification procedures and unionization campaigns, including Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd., National Bank of Canada, Verreault Navigation, Le Groupe San Francisco, Tecnickrome Aéronautique, Maple Leaf Foods and GEA Houle Inc.
- In 1994, he obtained a ruling by the Quebec Court of Appeal to the effect that picketing of the homes of Journal de Montréal executives was illegal on grounds of infringement of privacy
- In 2005, he successfully defended Bombardier Aerospace in a grievance claiming severance for employees affected by the sale of its F-18 aircraft maintenance operations to L3 Communications
- He has represented a number of companies before civil courts and administrative tribunals in dismissal cases
- He frequently acts as a company spokesperson in collective bargaining. In 2011 he acted as the spokesperson for the prospective buyers of the Davie Shipyard in Quebec, when all four collective agreements were re-opened
Rankings and recognitions
Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2013-2016 recommended in Labour Relations - Management
Martindale-Hubbell — mentioned for his exemplary reputation and well-established client base
- Mr. Carle often makes presentations to our clients on topics relating to his areas of expertise, such as preventing unionization, psychological harassment and managing absenteeism.
Memberships and activities
- Canadian Bar Association
- Retail Council of Canada
- Association québecoise de l’aérospatiale
- American Employment Law Council (AELC)
- National Retail Federation (USA)
- Lecturer, employment and labour law and administrative law, Quebec Bar Admission Course.
Stay informed with our Employment and Labour – 2016 Year in Review. This report provides an up-to-date compilation of the latest developments in E&L, enabling human resource managers, legal counsel, and business leaders .
March 07, 2017
Stay ahead of the curve with our employment and labour year in review for 2015.
March 01, 2016
Michel Carle discussed last year’s Supreme Court of Canada labour trilogy of decisions that enshrined the right to strike as an “indispensable component” .
February 16, 2016