Geoffrey G. Gilbert
Geoffrey Gilbert practises Canadian and US corporate and commercial and securities law, with an emphasis on corporate finance and mergers and acquisitions. He also provides ongoing general corporate and commercial law advice.
Mr. Gilbert has significant experience in Canadian and US debt and equity financings. He has handled initial public offerings and Rule 144A offerings, as well as acquisitions and divestitures of both Canadian and US public and private businesses. He also acts for and advises venture capital firms and technology companies (at early and more advanced stages of development) on various matters, including corporate governance, shareholder arrangements, debt, equity and bank financing, acquisitions, strategic partnering and joint venture arrangements. Mr. Gilbert is Co-Chair of our private equity team.
Before joining our Ottawa office, Mr. Gilbert spent almost four years in private practice in New York City, acquiring experience in cross-border mergers and acquisitions and US securities law. Previously he was in private practice in Toronto where he focused on corporate and commercial and securities law.
Year of call
New York 2000
LL.B., Western University, 1996
B.Adm., University of Ottawa, 1993
Selected client work
Mr. Gilbert has recently acted for the following clients:
- Casimir Capital LP, the agent, in the A$51-million offering of ordinary shares of Red 5 Limited, the $6.7 million offering of units of mining company Golden Predator Corp., the $2.7 million offering of units of Lincoln Mining Corporation, the $21.9 million offering of units of Wavefront Technology Solutions, the $23.1 million offering of units of Apoquindo Minerals Inc., the $5 million offering of flow-through common shares of Eastmain Resources Inc., the $5.2 million offering of units of Northern Star Mining Corp. and the offering of flow-through common shares of Virginia Mines Inc. for total gross proceeds of $3.8 million.
- The syndicate of underwriters, led by Dundee Securities Corporation, in connection with a “bought deal” public offering of common shares of Sabina Gold & Silver Corp.
- TransGaming Inc., the issuer, in the $8.9 million offering of units pursuant to its brokered private placement financing
- Warner Chilcott plc in its acquisition and financing of Procter & Gamble’s worldwide pharmaceuticals business for US$3.1 billion
Rankings and recognitions
- Best Lawyers in Canada, 2012-2014 - Corporate Law
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2013: recommended in Corporate Commercial Law; Project Finance
- IFLR (International Financial Law Review) 1000 - The Guide to the World’s Leading Financial Law Firms - Leading lawyer in mergers and acquisitions
- Ottawa Business Journal’s Forty Under 40 Award, 2010
Memberships and activities
This briefing will summarize the project’s main components and highlight issues worthy of consideration as the project advances..
February 20, 2014
Project finance bank debt is a common form of financing for the development of mining projects..
October 01, 2013
Norton Rose Canada is a founding sponsor of UNTETHER.talks, a two-day mobile summit in Toronto from June 26-27, 2012.
June 08, 2012
Geoffrey Gilbert talks to the Ottawa Business Journal about the private equity and venture capital climate in Canada. Though growth in these areas is minimal righ....
February 21, 2011