Karen Jensen has represented clients in complex human rights, employment and labour law matters for a number of years.
Ms. Jensen represents employers in human rights disputes, collective bargaining, certification matters, sale of a business and single employer claims, complaints of unfair labour practices, grievance and interest arbitrations, unjust and wrongful dismissal complaints, occupational health and safety, and employment standards matters. Ms. Jensen provides proactive advice to employers on the full range of human rights, employment and labour law issues.
Prior to joining our Ottawa office, Ms. Jensen was assistant dean of the Faculty of Law at the University of Ottawa, and taught dispute resolution. From 2005-2009, she was a full-time member of the Canadian Human Rights Tribunal where she adjudicated and mediated human rights disputes in both official languages.
Ms. Jensen is fully trilingual (English, French and Spanish) and represents clients in both official languages before the courts and tribunals. She is Ottawa chair of our employment and labour law practice.
Year of call
LL.B., Western University, 1992
M.Ed., University of Toronto, 1988
B.A., University of Winnipeg, 1983
- “Emerging Trends in Human Rights Remedies,” presentation at the 4th Annual Human Rights Summit of the Law Society of Upper Canada (LSUC), Toronto, November 30, 2015.
- “Resolving Pay Equity Issues,” presentation/webinar at the seminar of the Ontario Bar Association (OBA), Ottawa, November 5, 2015.
- “The New Labour Trilogy and its Implications,” presentation at the annual conference of the Canada Industrial Relations Board (CIRB), Ottawa, September 17, 2015.
- “Recent Developments in Labour Law,” presentation at the annual conference of the Human Resources Professionals Association (HRPA), Ottawa, May 27, 2015.
- “Disentangling the Discipline from the Disease: Human Rights & Self Accommodation,” webinar for the Canadian Association of Counsel to Employers (CACE), January 28, 2015.
- “Emerging Trends in Human Rights Remedies,” presentation at the 3rd Annual Human Rights Summit of the Law Society of Upper Canada (LSUC), Toronto, December 10, 2014.
- “Top Ten Employment Decisions in 2013-2014,” presentation at the Canadian Bar Association (CBA) seminar, Ottawa, November 28, 2014.
- “International Human Rights Norms and Legal Obligations in Canada,” presentation at the annual conference of the Canadian Association of Counsel to Employers (CACE), Montreal, September 13, 2014.
- “The Impact of SCC Human Rights Decisions on Canadian Workplaces,” presentation at the Canadian Bar Association (CBA) conference, Ottawa, June 27, 2014.
- “Pre-Employment and Early Employment,” presentation at the Canadian Association of Counsel to Employers (CACE), webinar, May 26, 2014.
Memberships and activities
- Canadian Bar Association
- Ontario Bar Association
- County of Carleton Law Association
- Canadian Association of Counsel to Employers
- Human Resources Professionals Association
Stay informed with our Employment and Labour – 2016 Year in Review. This report provides an up-to-date compilation of the latest developments in E&L, enabling human resource managers, legal counsel, and business leaders .
March 07, 2017
With the Christmas season around the corner, many are looking forward to the statutory holidays..
November 28, 2016