Partner, Patent Agent, Lawyer, Trade-mark Agent
Jung-Kay Chiu practises in all areas of intellectual property law, with a focus on intellectual property acquisition, protection and exploitation in the field of biotechnology and medical devices. Mr. Chiu’s practice includes drafting and prosecuting patent applications, industrial designs and trade-marks, as well as patent licensing and other commercial transactions relating to intellectual property. Mr. Chiu is also routinely involved in preparing patent-related due diligence reports and patentability, infringement and validity opinions.
Mr. Chiu joined our Toronto office in 2003 after practising corporate commercial law and intellectual property law with another major law firm in Canada. His technical experience includes conducting post-graduate research in molecular biology at the University of Toronto, and his technical background includes genetics, molecular biology, biotechnology and biochemistry.
Mr. Chiu is national leader of our Canadian patents and IP transactions team.
LL.B., University of Toronto, 1999
B.Sc., University of Toronto, 1994
- Canada (patents) 2004
- United States (patents) 2005
- Ontario 2001
Rankings and recognitions
- Client Choice Awards, 2016 - Intellectual Property – Patents, Toronto
- “Patent Application Process,” MaRS Breakfast Seminar Series by Ogilvy Renault LLP, Toronto, October 12, 2006.
- “Key Aspects of IP License Agreements,” Negotiating and Drafting Key Business Agreements, The Canadian Institute Conference, Toronto, September 29, 2006.
- “How to Draft a Patent Application,” Entrepreneurship 101 Workshop, Toronto, March 4, 2006.
- “How to Draft a Patent Application,” Entrepreneurship 101 Workshop, Toronto, February´11, 2006.
- “Biotechnology and Patenting,” Patents and Trade Secrets Course at the Faculty of Law, University of Toronto, January 24, 2006.
- “Biotechnology and Patenting,” Patents and Trade Secrets Course at the Faculty of Law, University of Toronto, January 20, 2005.
Memberships and activities
- Intellectual Property Institute of Canada
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Licensing Executives Society
- Toronto Biotechnology Initiative
- International Federation of Intellectual Property Attorneys
Our Life sciences and healthcare team hosted on Wednesday, May 16, 2018 a morning session where industry experts and our lawyers presented a series of sessions on how regulatory changes, disruptive technology and innovation are impacting the life sciences and healthcare sectors..
Wednesday, May 16, 2018
Learn first-hand on what Canadian businesses should know about protecting and enforcing their intellectual property when entering and operating within the Chinese market..
Friday, October 6, 2017
On June 29, 2015, the Canadian Intellectual Property Office issued guidance to patent examiners on examining patent applications for medical diagnostic methods..
July 07, 2015
Lawyers from eight of our worldwide offices were recipients of the 2016 Client Choice Award, as selected by the International Law Office (ILO) and Lexology..
February 19, 2016
On February 17, Client Choice distinguished four Norton Rose Fulbright partners as Canadian recipients of the 2016 awards. .
February 17, 2016