Pierre R. Dagenais
Pierre Dagenais practises corporate and securities law, with particular emphasis on mergers and acquisitions and corporate finance. He has acted as counsel in many merger and acquisition transactions, including take-over bids and statutory arrangements. Mr. Dagenais has also acted for public companies and underwriters in connection with many public offerings and has participated in numerous private placement transactions on behalf of issuers, underwriters and investors.
In his general corporate law practice, Mr. Dagenais advises Canadian public companies on continuous disclosure obligations and corporate governance matters. He is qualified to practise both in Ontario and Alberta.
Year of call
LL.B., University of Alberta, 1998
B.A., University of Alberta, 1995
Selected client work
Mr. Dagenais has acted for the following clients:
- A syndicate of underwriters in connection with Performance Sports Group’s US$126.5 million initial public offering of common shares in the United States and new offering of common shares in Canada
- A syndicate of underwriters in connection with the Hudson’s Bay Company’s C$140 million bought deal secondary offering of common shares and, prior to that, in connection with the IPO of Hudson’s Bay Company
- TELUS Corporation in connection with its cross-border MJDS offering of C$500 million 3.20% senior unsecured notes due April 5, 2021, and C$500 million 4.85% senior unsecured notes due April 5, 2044; in connection with the renewal of its base shelf prospectus and its cross-border MJDS offering of C$400 million 3.60% senior unsecured notes due January 26, 2021, and C$400 million 5.15% senior unsecured notes due November 26, 2043; and in connection with its cross-border MJDS offering of C$1.1 billion 3.35% senior unsecured notes due April 1, 2024, and C$600 million 4.40% senior unsecured notes due April 1, 2043
- Barrick Gold Corporation in connection with its $7.3 billion acquisition of Equinox Minerals Limited
- The underwriters in connection with the IPO of Bauer Performance Sports Ltd. and a number of follow-on offerings
- International Finance Corporation, a member of the World Bank Group, in connection with a number of equity investments in Canadian and international mining and oil and gas companies
- Andlauer Management Group Inc. in connection with its cash insider bid for ATS Andlauer Income Fund
- CHC Helicopter Corporation in connection with the US$3.7 billion acquisition of CHC by First Reserve Corporation
- The underwriters in connection with a number of equity financings for Semafo Inc.
- Domtar Inc. in connection with its combination with Weyerhaeuser Company’s fine paper business and related assets
Rankings and recognitions
- Chambers Global: The World’s Leading Lawyers for Business, 2011-2013: Corporate/M&A
- IFLR (International Financial Law Review) 1000 – The Guide to the World's Leading Financial Law Firms – Leading lawyer in mergers and acquisitions, 2012-2014
Memberships and activities
- Canadian Bar Association
- Law Society of Upper Canada
- Law Society of Alberta
This intensive course pairs leading US and Canadian counsel on key issues in U.S. securities law..
March 26, 2015
Exploration companies without income often look to the equity capital markets to fund on-going exploration..
October 01, 2013
A complete annual UK and Canadian corporate advisory service at a transparent, fixed price.
September 20, 2013
Global legal practice Norton Rose Fulbright has advised Anglo Pacific Group PLC (“Anglo Pacific”) on a royalty acquisition and related placing..
June 16, 2014
Pierre Dagenais comments in the National Post’s Dealmakers 2014 special section on what the year may hold for IPOs in the technology sector in Canada..
January 31, 2014