Matthew Lippa’s practice covers all aspects of corporate and commercial law, with an emphasis on domestic and international structured financing (including asset-based lending, covered bonds and notes, and project financings) and mergers and acquisitions. He also regularly advises clients on general corporate matters, regulatory matters and commercial contracts.
Mr. Lippa worked with us both as a summer student and as an articling student before joining us as an associate. During his articles, Mr. Lippa completed a secondment in the legal department of The Bank of Nova Scotia.
J.D., Osgoode Hall Law School, 2010
B.A.(Hons.), York University, 2007
Mr. Lippa has acted for the following clients:
- Royal Bank of Canada in connection with its global covered bond programme, including initial registration with Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation under Part I.1 of the National Housing Act (Canada), and various issuances in USD, CAD, EUR, GBP and AUD
- Parq Holdings Limited Partnership, Paragon Gaming and Dundee Corporation in connection with a US$415 million financing for a new Vancouver Casino
- J.P. Morgan in connection with the establishment of $290 million senior secured asset based revolving credit facilities in favour of Brooks Brothers
- Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce in connection with a senior secured asset based credit facility in an aggregate amount of C$35,000,000 in favour of Grafton-Fraser Inc.
- Alamos Gold Inc. in connection with US$150 million senior secured credit facilities provided by The Bank of Nova Scotia
- Exide Technologies in connection with a US$225 million first-out Debtor-In-Possession asset-based revolving credit facility
- A Belgian agrochemical company in connection with its entry into the Canadian market by way of acquisition of a Canadian company
- Royal Bank of Canada in connection with the acquisition of Athena Energy Group, a market-leading natural gas supplier in Quebec
- Bank of America, N.A., in connection with a US$1.01 billion credit facility in favour of American Tire Distributors, Inc. to provide for the acquisition of Regional Tire Distributors Inc.
- Gran Colombia Gold Corp. in connection with the creation and issuance of US$100 million aggregate principal amount gold-linked notes
Memberships and activities
- Canadian Bar Association
- Ontario Bar Association
- Law Society of Upper Canada