Jennifer Teskey practises in corporate and commercial litigation, with an emphasis on class actions, securities, accounting, regulatory and energy-related matters.
Clients represented by Ms. Teskey include professional regulators, pharmaceutical, financial services, manufacturing, transportation, technology and energy companies.
She has appeared before all levels of Ontario courts as well as courts in Saskatchewan, Newfoundland and New Brunswick. Ms. Teskey has also appeared before many administrative tribunals, including the Ontario Securities Commission, the Ontario Energy Board, the Electrical Safety Authority and the Association of Professional Geoscientists of Ontario. She also regularly advises accounting regulators.
Ms. Teskey has specific expertise with complex accounting matters, commercial litigation, injunctions and class actions. Details of her experience are found under “representative experience.”
LL.B., University of Ottawa, 2002
B.A. (Hons.), Queen’s University, 1999
Ms. Teskey has acted as counsel for the following clients:
- Cathay Forest Products Corp. in defending and settling a securities-related class action
- Corporations and dissidents in proxy contests: Mundoro Capital Inc., Roxgold Inc., Savitr Capital LLC, Harmony Asset Limited and Smoothwater Capital Corporation
- Nortel Networks Corporation in defending and settling securities-related class actions brought against Nortel in respect of the restatement of its financial results
- BMO Nesbitt Burns Inc., a lead underwriter, in a securities class action
- The Dow Chemical Company in respect of mass tort class actions
- Toronto Hydro in respect of late payment penalties class actions
- Hill’s Pet Nutrition Inc. in respect of a product liability class action
- A national transportation company in relation to various personal injury matters
- Energy industry participants in various regulatory, civil litigation and appellant proceedings
- The Public Accountants Council for the Province of Ontario, advising on complex standard reviews and regulatory compliance issues
Rankings and recognitions
- Lexpert Guide to the Leading US/Canada Cross-Border Litigation Lawyers in Canada – Litigation lawyer to watch (2013)
- Lexpert – Rising Stars: Leading Lawyer under 40 (2012)
Memberships and activities
- Canadian Bar Association
- Law Society of Upper Canada
- The Advocates’ Society