Rubén Eduardo Luján
Co-Head of Banking and Finance, Latin America
Despacho de Abogados Miembros de Norton Rose Fulbright, S.C.
Rubén Eduardo Luján is co-head of our Latin American banking and finance practice. He is also the head of the banking and finance, securities and mining practices in our Caracas office. He joined our Caracas office in 1998.
His practice is focused on corporate, transactional, commodities trading and finance work in Venezuela and Latin America. He has extensive experience with acquisitions, mergers, corporate reorganizations and spin-offs of Venezuelan companies, including those in heavily-regulated industries, such as banking, insurance, pharmaceuticals and food.
He advises and counsels clients on major project finance deals, including energy finance, and has led and assisted on complex cross-border financing structures for the oil and gas and mining industries in Venezuela and Mexico, including financings for Venezuelan project companies by multilateral agencies, development banks and/or international banks, and innovative schemes of financing for Venezuelan state entities involving future oil production as collateral for financing. Mr. Luján has vast experience and regularly advises clients on the Venezuelan currency exchange control regime.
Mr. Luján also advises and counsels on Venezuelan securities matters, including the public offering of securities, securitization and tender offers. He has been honoured to open the market at the Toronto Stock Exchange (TSX) and the TSX Venture Exchange (TSX-V).
As part of his Latin American practice, Mr. Luján has coordinated and assisted in corporate reorganizations in several countries (including Argentina, Chile and Ecuador) for food and telecommunications companies, and has led or assisted in acquisitions or sales by international mining companies of gold, silver and nickel mining projects in several countries (including Colombia, Mexico, Peru, Venezuela, Guatemala, Dominican Republic and Nicaragua).
LL.M., University of Michigan, 1998
Law degree, cum laude, Universidad Católica Andrés Bello, 1995
Rankings and recognitions
- Chambers Global, Venezuela, 2017; Ranking for Banking and Finance (Band 2). Previously ranked for Banking and Finance at Chambers Global, Venezuela, 2012 - 2016.
- Chambers Latin America, Venezuela, 2018, Ranking for Banking and Finance (Band 2) and for Tax: Customs (Band 2). Previously ranked for Banking and Finance at Chambers Latin America, Venezuela, 2010 - 2017.
- Legal 500, Venezuela, 2017, Ranking for Banking and Finance (Tier 1), as Leading Lawyer; Ranking for Corporate and M&A (Tier 1). Previously ranked for Banking and Finance, Corporate and M&A and Energy and Natural Resources at Legal 500, Venezuela, 2012 - 2016.
- IFLR (International Financial Law Review) 1000, Venezuela, 2018; Ranking for Financial and Corporate (Tier 1), as Leading Lawyer. Previously ranked for Financial and Corporate at IFLR 1000, Venezuela, 2013 - 2017.
- IFLR (International Financial Law Review) 1000, Venezuela, 2018; Leading Lawyer in the categories of Banking, Capital Markets, Corporate and M&A, Energy and Infrastructure, and Project Finance. Previously ranked for these categories at IFLR 1000, 2013 - 2017.
- Who’s Who Legal, Venezuela, 2015: Recognized as a specialist in the areas of Capital Markets - Debt and Equity, and Mining. Previously recognized for these categories at Who's Who Legal, Venezuela, 2014.
- Best Lawyers, Venezuela, 2018: Listed in the areas of Banking and Finance Law, Capital Markets Law, and Corporate and M&A Law. Previously listed for these categories at Best Lawyers, Venezuela, 2017.
- Lawyer’s National Day Order, Miranda State Bar Association, June 2007
- Dr. Francisco Espejo Medal, Miranda State Bar Association, June 2006
- Award of Merit, Miranda State Bar Association, June 2002
- “Latin America: A regional perspective for mining companies,” Canadian Mining Journal, January 2013.
- “Project Finance 2011 and 2012” (co-author of chapter on Venezuela), Latin Lawyer, 2011 and 2012.
- Rulefinder (an on-line service of Allen & Overy LLP with legal comments on substantial shareholding disclosure requirements under securities market and tender offer legislation) (reporting counsel for Venezuela for the years 2010 to 2017).
- “Judgment from Supreme Tribunal of Justice; Rule on International Investments, Technology Transfer and Technical Assistance” (co-author), Latin American Law & Business Report, November 30, 2004.
- Insolvency and Restructuring (co-author of chapter on Venezuela), Law Business Research, 2004.
- “Legal Framework for Securitization in Venezuela,” Global Securitization and Structured Finance, Deutsche Bank, 2003.
- “The New Exchange Control System,” The Daily Journal, Caracas, February 25, 2003.
- “Suspension of Insurance Legislation,” The Daily Journal, October 7, 2002.
- “Regulation of the Law for the Protection and Promotion of Investments” (co-author), Latin American Business Report, Vol. 10, No. 8, August 31, 2002.
- “Regulations to the Protection and Promotion of Investments Law” (co-author), Latin American Business Report, Vol. 10, No. 8, August 31, 2002.
- "Country Spotlight - Venezuela & Colombia: Panel Discussion," mineLatinAmerica, On the Ground Group, Toronto, November 14, 2016.
- “Current Trends in Financing and Regulation: Panel Discussion,” mineLatinAmerica, On the Ground Group, Toronto, November 4, 2014.
- “The New Multiple Exchange Rate System and SICAD II,” VenEconomía, Caracas, April 3, 2014.
- “The New Exchange Control System in Venezuela,” Venezuelan-German Chamber of Commerce and Industry, Caracas, March 25, 2014; Venezuelan Council for Investment Promotion (CONAPRI), Caracas, March 31, 2014.
- “Legal Implications of the New Currency Exchange Regime,” VenEconomía, Caracas, February 13, 2014.
- “When the Tide Turns: Risk Management Planning for Mining Projects in Latin America,” mineLatinAmerica, On the Ground Group, Toronto, Canada, November 15, 2013.
- “Legal and Operational Issues of the SICAD Mechanism on Foreign Currency Auctions,” Venezuelan Council for Investment Promotion (CONAPRI), Caracas, August 2013.
- “Recent Key Issues of the Exchange Control Regime,” Venezuelan-Canadian Chamber of Commerce, Caracas, May 8, 2013; Venezuelan-Japanese Chamber of Commerce, Caracas, May 9, 2013.
- “Workshop on the Currency Exchange Regime,” VenEconomía, Caracas, March and April 2013.
- “Mining Regulatory Framework and Legal Issues in Selected Latin American Jurisdictions: Peru and Mexico,” mineLatinAmerica, On the Ground Group, Toronto, Canada, November 7, 2012.
- “General Framework and Current Legal Issues for Mining Investments in Peru,” Mine South America: Focus on Peru, On the Ground Group, Toronto, Canada, October 5, 2011.
Memberships and activities
- Miranda State Bar Association, Venezuela
- Law Society of Upper Canada (licensed as Foreign Legal Consultant)
- Venezuelan-Canadian Chamber of Commerce, Venezuela
- Director (2010-2014)
- Secretary to the Board of Directors (2012-2014)
In Special Official Gazette No. 6.300 of May 19, 2017, the following were published: Exchange Agreement No. 38, which establishes the new foreign currency system at the supplementary floating market exchange rate (DICOM), which operates in the form of auctions of foreign currency, and Resolution No. 17-05-01, which creates and regulates the Committee of Foreign Currency Auctions (the Committee)..
June 09, 2017
Decree Nº 2.777 - public national companies shall hold all of their bank accounts in foreign currency in the Venezuelan Central Bank and/or in the Economic and Social Development Bank of Venezuela..
April 04, 2017
Norton Rose Fulbright is pleased to announce that the IFLR1000 2015 highlighted Latin American members in practice areas and top lawyers categories for 2015. .
July 13, 2015
Rubén Eduardo Luján and Patricia Prato Casado explained the risks and opportunities for mining investments in Latin America..
June 01, 2015