Charles Hurdon is managing partner of our Canadian practice and sits on our global executive committee. He is chair of our Canadian management committee.
Mr. Hurdon practises employment and labour law exclusively, advising and representing employers in both federal and provincial jurisdictions. He has extensive experience in representing and advising employers in matters relating to executive employment agreements, executive compensation and executive terminations. Mr. Hurdon regularly appears before grievance arbitrators, labour boards, other administrative tribunals and the courts.
Other areas of practice include occupational health and safety, where he assists employers in developing health and safety programs and provides advice and representation in prosecutions under the Canada Labour Code and the Ontario Occupational Health and Safety Act.
LL.B., University of Ottawa, 1986
B.A.(Hons.), University of Ottawa, 1983
Rankings and recognitions
- Best Lawyers in Canada, 2008-2017: Labour and Employment Law
- BTI Client Service All-Stars, 2016 – Leader in client service excellence
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, (2012-2017): recommended in Employment Law - Employer
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, (2014-2017): recommended in Occupational Health & Safety
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, (2014-2016): recommended in Labour Relations - Labour
- International Law Office (ILO), Client Choice Awards 2012: Employment and Labour, Canada
- Lexpert/American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada: repeatedly recommended for Employment Law
- “The Top 10 Recent Labour and Employment Cases and Their Practical Implications,” OBA Labour and Employment Section, Naval Officers’ Mess of Ottawa, June 4, 2013.
- “Seniority: Can You Take it With You When You’re Transferred?” “Getting Harassment Investigations Right,” “Cellphone Use, Parking Records and Hand Prints: New Frontiers of Employee Monitoring,” “Carelessness, Negligence and Incompetence at Work: Appropriate Employer Responses,” The 2012 Ontario Labour Law Review, Centre for Labour-Management Development, Ottawa, November 14, 2012.
- “The Year’s Top Accommodation Cases,” The 2012 Accommodation Law Conference, Centre for Labour-Management Development, Ottawa, March 29, 2012.
- “Accommodation and Human Rights Update,” The 2011 Ontario Labour Law Review, Centre for Labour-Management Development, Ottawa, November 18, 2011.
- “Health and Safety Conference” (chair), Lancaster House, Toronto, October 12, 2011.
- “2010 in Review: What’s New, What’s Hot in Labour and Employment Law” (panellist), Law Conference Wrap-Up Panel, Ottawa Human Resources Professionals Association 2011 Law Conference, Ottawa, May 20, 2011.
- “Accommodation Update,” The 2011 Accommodation Law Conference, Centre for Labour-Management Development, Ottawa, March 9, 2011.
- “Cross Canada Employment Law Check Up - Ontario,” CACE 7th Annual Conference, Vancouver, September 25, 2010.
- “Executive Compensation - Trends and Best Practices,” OCRI 45th Circuit, May 4, 2010.
- “Accommodating Mental Disabilities: Emerging trends; Using the grievance process to resolve accommodation disputes; Expert witnesses: Maximizing their role in accommodation cases; Getting the most from healthcare professionals,” The 2010 Accommodation Law Conference, Centre for Labour-Management Development Canada, Ottawa, February 24-25, 2010.
Memberships and activities
- Canadian Association of Counsel to Employers (CACE)
- Lecturer at the Faculty of Law of the University of Ottawa, Western University and Algonquin College
- Member of the Board of Directors of a local not-for-profit charitable organization
The Supreme Court of Canada in the recently released R v Jordan (Jordan) has fundamentally changed the way courts consider whether an unreasonable delay has occurred in criminal and provincial offences matters..
October 14, 2016
Ontario has released the final report of the Mining Health, Safety and Prevention Review (the Report)..
April 28, 2015
Global law firm Norton Rose Fulbright has today announced 45 promotions worldwide, including 41 partners and four promotions to the South African equivalent of director..
April 27, 2017
Charles Hurdon is mentioned in relation to the merger with Chadbourne & Parke..
February 21, 2017