Charles Hurdon is managing partner of our Canadian practice and sits on our global executive committee. He is chair of our Canadian management committee.
Mr. Hurdon practises employment and labour law exclusively, advising and representing employers in both federal and provincial jurisdictions. He has extensive experience in representing and advising employers in matters relating to executive employment agreements, executive compensation and executive terminations. Mr. Hurdon regularly appears before grievance arbitrators, labour boards, other administrative tribunals and the courts.
Other areas of practice include occupational health and safety, where he assists employers in developing health and safety programs and provides advice and representation in prosecutions under the Canada Labour Code and the Ontario Occupational Health and Safety Act.
Year of call
LL.B., University of Ottawa, 1986
B.A.(Hons.), University of Ottawa, 1983
- “The Top 10 Recent Labour and Employment Cases and Their Practical Implications,” OBA Labour and Employment Section, Naval Officers’ Mess of Ottawa, June 4, 2013.
- “Seniority: Can You Take it With You When You’re Transferred?” “Getting Harassment Investigations Right,” “Cellphone Use, Parking Records and Hand Prints: New Frontiers of Employee Monitoring,” “Carelessness, Negligence and Incompetence at Work: Appropriate Employer Responses,” The 2012 Ontario Labour Law Review, Centre for Labour-Management Development, Ottawa, November 14, 2012.
- “The Year’s Top Accommodation Cases,” The 2012 Accommodation Law Conference, Centre for Labour-Management Development, Ottawa, March 29, 2012.
- “Accommodation and Human Rights Update,” The 2011 Ontario Labour Law Review, Centre for Labour-Management Development, Ottawa, November 18, 2011.
- “Health and Safety Conference” (chair), Lancaster House, Toronto, October 12, 2011.
- “2010 in Review: What’s New, What’s Hot in Labour and Employment Law” (panellist), Law Conference Wrap-Up Panel, Ottawa Human Resources Professionals Association 2011 Law Conference, Ottawa May 20, 2011.
- “Accommodation Update,” The 2011 Accommodation Law Conference, Centre for Labour-Management Development, Ottawa, March 9, 2011.
- “Cross Canada Employment Law Check Up - Ontario,” CACE 7th Annual Conference, Vancouver, September 25, 2010.
- “Executive Compensation - Trends and Best Practices,” OCRI 45th Circuit, May 4, 2010.
- “Accommodating Mental Disabilities: Emerging trends; Using the grievance process to resolve accommodation disputes; Expert witnesses: Maximizing their role in accommodation cases; Getting the most from healthcare professionals,” The 2010 Accommodation Law Conference, Centre for Labour-Management Development Canada, Ottawa, February 24-25, 2010.
Rankings and recognitions
- Best Lawyers in Canada, 2012-2015: Labour and Employment Law
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2012-2014: recommended in Employment Law (Management)
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2014: recommended in Labour Relations; Occupational Health & Safety
- International Law Office (ILO) Client Choice Awards 2012, Employment and Labour, Canada
- Lexpert / American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada – Repeatedly recommended for Employment Law
Memberships and activities
- Canadian Association of Counsel to Employers (CACE)
- Lecturer at the Faculty of Law of the University of Ottawa, Western University and Algonquin College
- Member of the Board of Directors of a local not-for-profit charitable organization
Norton Rose’s Charles Hurdon discusses the year’s top labour law developments affecting Ontario unions and employers..
November 14-15, 2012
In a recent decision, the Supreme Court of Canada reminds employers and unions of the importance of the duty to bargain in good faith..
July 08, 2014
In the Supreme Court of Canada’s June 27 decision relating to the closing in 2005 of Wal-Mart’s unionized store in Jonquière..
July 07, 2014
Global legal practice Norton Rose Fulbright has today announced a total of 51 partner promotions worldwide. .
April 24, 2015
Norton Rose Fulbright Canada is pleased to announce that Solomon Sananes is the new Managing Partner of our Montréal office effective April 1, 2015..
March 31, 2015