Katia is a banking and finance lawyer based in Johannesburg.
Katia specialises in local and cross border finance work, with considerable experience and expertise in project finance, leveraged finance and acquisition finance in the energy, infrastructure and mining spheres in South Africa and Africa. She is also experienced in bilateral and syndicated lending transactions, structured finance, trade and commodity finance and preference share funding.
Katia is involved in drafting the South African law equivalent to the English law primary and secondary loan documents for the Loan Market Association and has been involved in the African leg of the association since its inception. Katia is a member of the International Project Finance Association.
Katia joined Norton Rose South Africa in 2009, prior to which she spent almost two years working in the banking and finance team of a large law firm in London where she focused on general banking, syndicated lending and trade finance transactions, particularly within the emerging markets. She graduated with the BA LLB degrees from the University of Cape Town in 2002 and was admitted as an attorney in March 2006. Katia speaks English and French fluently.
Selected client work
- Advising a major international IPP developer in relation to the financing, fuel supply, offtake, construction, operation and maintenance arrangements for a 150MW coal-fired power station to be built in Mozambique.
- Standard Bank of South Africa Limited and Standard Bank S.A. Moçambique – acted as advisers to the Standard Bank of South Africa Limited and Standard Bank S.A. Moçambique (as Lenders) in relation to the USD120 million term loan facility provided to Portos e Caminhos de Ferro De Moçambique (CFM) (the ports authority in Moçambique).
- Absa Bank Limited/Beacon Hill resources Plc – acted as advisers to Absa Bank Limited (as Lender) in relation to the due diligence of two subsidiaries of Beacon Hill Resources Plc in relation to the respect of the refinancing of certain existing facilities and financing of capital expenditure in respect of a wash-plant for a mine in Moçambique.
- Advising Standard Chartered Bank on the financing of the construction of a captive 50MW coal-fired power plant and integrated cement/clinker production plant in Bagamoyo, Tanzania being developed by an IPP.
- Advising a major international IPP developer of a coal based sub-critical Thermal Power Plant comprising of two (2) units of 175MW for base load operation under a BOO regime in Senegal.
- Moyeng West Coast 1 - advised GDF Suez Energy Asia Turkley and Southern Africa B.V., Investec Bank Limited and Tiso Resources Proprietary Limited as sponsors in relation to the structuring of the 94 MW wind project in the Western Cape Province, as well as the debt and equity financing of the development, construction and operation of the project.
- Longuyan Mulilo De Aar wind power generation plants, South Africa – currently advising Nedbank Capital and the Industrial Development of South Africa as lenders’ legal counsel in relation to the structuring two wind power generation facilities (of 96.48MW and 138.96MW respectively) in Prieska, as well as the debt and equity financing of the development, construction and operation of both of the projects, which were awarded preferred bidder status under Round 3 of the REIPP.
- Kaxu/Khi CSP - advised Abengoa Solar International and the Industrial Development Corporation of South Africa as sponsors in relation to the structuring of the 100 MW KaXu solar CSP project and the 50MW Khi solar CSP project, as well as the debt and equity financing of the development, construction and operation of the projects.
- AK06 Kimberlite Diamond Project, Botswana - advised Standard Chartered Bank on their limited recourse project financing to Boteti Mining (Proprietary) Limited for the construction, ownership and operation of the AK06 Kimberlite Diamond Project in Botswana. The sponsors in respect of the project are a TSX listed company incorporated in Canada and an AIM listed company incorporated in England and Wales.
- Standard Chartered Bank - Boseto Copper Project, Botswana – acted as advisors to Standard Chartered Bank, Standard Bank, Credit Suisse and Caterpillar Financial SARL in relation to project financing facilities to Discovery Copper Botswana (Proprietary) Limited for the Boseto Copper Project in Botswana. This deal was named “Africa Mining Deal of the Year” by Project Finance Magazine / Euromoney Awards Ceremony.
- GPR Leasing Africa Limited – acted as legal advisers to the Borrower in relation to partially ECA backed USD50 million credit facilities provided by Rand Merchant Bank in respect of the financing and leasing of locomotives in Mozambique and Zimbabwe and certain other African jurisdictions.
- Grindrod - acted as advisers to a major South African locomotives manufacturer in an ECA backed USD40 million term loan facility in respect of the financing and construction of locomotives in Sierra Leone.
- BioTherm Konkoonsies/Aries Solar PV Energy Facilities - advised Nedbank Capital (a division of Nedbank Limited) and The Industrial Development Corporation of South Africa in relation to the structuring two 10MW photovoltaic solar power generating facilities in the Northern Cape, as well as the debt and equity financing of the development, construction and operation of the projects.
- ACED Cookhouse - advised The Standard Bank of South Africa Limited, Nedbank Limited (acting through its Nedbank Capital division) and Futuregrowth Asset Management Proprietary Limited in relation to the structuring of the 135 MW wind project in Cookhouse, as well as the debt and equity financing of the development, construction and operation of the project.
What follows below is a summary of the key points of the Cogeneration Independent Power Producer Request for Bids issued on 4 June 2015 by the IPP Projects Office....
June 05, 2015
In Cape Town this morning, the Minister of Energy, Ms Tina Joematt-Petterson addressed the Acting DG, Senior Management, DOE Officials and management, members of....
April 16, 2015
In a recent article in Cover, Matt Ash, Jackie Midlane and Katia.
April 20, 2015
Coldron Denichaud and Katia Mengel discussed the estimated cost of new coal-fired power at Eskom’s Medupi and Kusile projects. .
July 31, 2014