Sandra is a litigation and dispute resolution lawyer based in Johannesburg.
She practices in general and insurance litigation and specialises in all areas of short term insurance in the form of commercial, personal and specialist lines including construction and engineering, environmental liability and directors and officers liability; and long term insurance including disability and impairment, life cover, funeral cover and critical illness cover.
She also practices in medical law, healthcare, medical malpractice and personal injury litigation and advises major private hospital networks and corporates on general contractual disputes. Sandra holds a certificate in medical law for legal practitioners.
She provides regulatory and legislative advice to insurance companies, policy drafting and underwriting, policy interpretation and coverage advice and assists insurers in subrogated recoveries and defenses in all classes of commercial, personal and specialist lines insurance, including product liability and product recall.
She regularly publishes articles on general litigation, insurance and medical and healthcare law related topics. She also presents at seminars and conferences, including on those topics specific to insurance and medical and healthcare law.
Sandra joined the practice in January 2007 as a candidate attorney.
- LLB degree - University of the Witwatersrand - 2006
- Successful defence of medical malpractice claim against hospital arising from birth of child with cerebral palsy. Successful. Got the action dismissed with costs.
- Successfully defended a doctor against a plaintiff's claim following alleged misdiagnosis and treatment of the plaintiff.
- Various successful and favourable settlements for insurers on medical malpractice claims; property damage and personal injury claims arising from construction and engineering projects.
- Advising an insurance company on the liability and development of a new environmental liability product.
- Advising a corporate finance, investment banking and structural debt finance entity on the nature of directors and officers insurance cover.
- Advise various insurance and corporate companies on directors and officers liability insurance.
- Various successes on general litigation claims, including the successful withdrawal of a claim against a major Chinese Telecommunications equipment company.
- Successfully defended a claim against Rustenburg Platinum Mines (a joint venture between Anglo American Mine and the Royal Bafokeng Mine) in arbitration proceedings instituted by Tshika Business Ventures (Pty) Ltd. The claim was for damages of approximately R50 million arising from an alleged repudiation of contract for the provision of kiosk/takeaway services at the mine's shafts.
- Acted for Samancor Chrome Limited against a contractual claim for approximately R7 million arising from a breach of contract. Questions of classification of contract and repudiation arising. Judgment in favour of Samancor Chrome Limited dismissing the plaintiff's action.
Memberships and activities
- Member of the South African practice's Supervisory Board, having previously served in the practice's Management Committee.
The Minister of Health, Dr Aaron Motsoaledi called a Medico-Legal Summit on 9 and 10 March 2015 which Donald Dinnie and Sandra Sithole participated in as part of the.
March 23, 2015
Hot on the heels of the e-tolling saga, government should be gearing up to fight a similar battle with the publication of National Health Insurance proposals..
September 26, 2013