Arturo Sferruzza is a banking lawyer based in Milan. He is Head of the Italian banking team.
Arturo specialises in project finance (energy and infrastructure), export credit and international trade finance and shipping finance. His clients include leading Italian and international banks and financial institutions and his experience covers a broad range of domestic and international deals. In recent years he has been particularly active in advising on the financing and development of renewable energy projects in Italy (solar, wind and biomass).
Arturo joined our practice in the London office (Projects Group) in 2000 and transferred full time to Milan in 2003. He became a partner in 2006.
Arturo read law summa cum laude at the University of Palermo. He also obtained a masters degree (LLM) from the Queen Mary and Westfield College, University of London, in 2000. He is qualified in Italy and the UK (Solicitor of the Senior Courts of England and Wales).
Arturo is a native Italian speaker and he is fluent in English.
Selected client work
- advised Centrobanca as Mandated Lead Arranger on the financing of a portfolio of solar photovoltaic energy projects having a generation capacity of around 10.3 MW. The portfolio comprises a 6 MW plant in the municipality of Latina and five roof-top plants built on top of certain bottling facilities belonging to the Coca-Cola Company. The sponsor, developer and actual owner of the projects (through two special purpose vehicles) is Contour Global. The project is eligible for support of the European Investment Bank (EIB) under the Renewable Framework Agreement entered into between the UBI Group and the EIB.
- advised Italian export credit agency SACE S.p.A. – Servizi Assicurativi per il Commercio Estero and a pool of three international banks (Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation, Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ and Banco Bilbao Vizcaya Argentaria) on a US$ 300 million 10-year pre-export financing for Brazil's Vale S.A., a global mining company and a leading producer of nickel, copper, precious metals, cobalt and value-added specialty nickel products.
- advised TEP Solar Holdings, as sponsor, on 18-year non-recourse loan facilities for around €40 million provided by Deutsche Bank and Centrobanca for the construction of a 8.4 MW solar power plant in Ragusa (Sicily).
- advised for Etrion Corporation, an independent solar power producer, as sponsor, on 18-year, non-recourse, multi-borrower loan facilities for around €57 million provided by Natixis, WestLB and Mediocreval for the construction of four solar power plants in Italy with an aggregate capacity of 15 MW.
- advised DnB NOR Bank SA in connection with the €34 million project financing for nine solar parks having aggregate generation capacity of around 8.9 MW located in the regions of Sardinia and Puglia.
- advised NORD/LB regarding the project financing of ten photovoltaic projects in Lecce (Puglia region), Italy, as well as on the engineering, procurement and construction contracts (EPC) and related project documents for these projects.
- advised MMK Atakas Metalurji Sanayi, Ticaret ve Liman Isletmeciligi A.S (MMK Atakas), a Turkish project company, on the financing for the construction of a steel complex in Turkey, a US$ 1.7 billion+ award winning project.
Rankings and recognitions
- Chambers Europe 2012 (Energy)
“Sources commend this firm's prolific activity in the renewables sector. It predominantly handles project finance work and is noted for its excellent cross-border capabilities. The group's Milan office has been very active in this respect, particularly with regards to deals in South Africa. The team advises a wide spectrum of energy clients, including banks, developers and sponsors. … Arturo Sferruzza leads the energy practice and peers describe him as a ‘good infrastructure lawyer2. … He acted as lead counsel advising Centrobanca on its capacity as mandated lead arranger of the financing of a rooftop solar project by Contour Global.”
- Chambers Global and Chambers Europe 2012 (Banking and finance)
“Arturo Sferruzza is widely known for his expertise in project finance and international trade finance. His clients appreciate his ‘committed and straightforward attitude’.”
- Legal 500 2012 (Banking and finance)
"Norton Rose Studio Legale advised project company BreBeMi on the financing of a 62km toll highway in northern Italy, and advised UniCredit Bank AG, IKB Deutsche Industriebank AG, and GE Capital Interbanca as mandated lead arrangers on the debt package granted to MCP MIC to support the acquisition of shares in Microgame. Arturo Sferruzza in Milan is noted for project and export credit finance …”
- Legal 500 2012 (Energy)
“Norton Rose Studio Legale’s expertise covers renewable energy, oil and gas, and power. It advised Centrobanca as mandated lead arranger on the financing of certain solar photovoltaic power projects. Arturo Sferruzza leads the team.”
- Legal 500 2011 (Banking and finance)
Arturo Sferruzza is “recommended.”
- Chambers Europe 2011 (Banking and finance)
“Sources praise Arturo Sferruzza for his ‘tremendous’ project finance work over the last year.”
- Legal 500 EMEA 2011 (Energy)
Arturo Sferruzza is “‘always up-to-date with the latest developments of the energy field”
- Chambers Europe 2010 (Banking and finance)
“Head of practice Arturo Sferruzza is ‘always well prepared and up-to-speed about the business at hand’. He leads the team’s market expansion into renewable energy and construction projects.
- Chambers Global 2009 (Banking and finance)
Arturo Sferruzza is a “‘extremely talented and dynamic’ project finance specialist.”
- Legal 500 2009 (Banking and finance)
“Arturo Sferruzza is recommended.”
- Chambers Global 2008 (Banking and finance)
“Projects lawyer Arturo Sferruzza is well-liked by clients for his “smooth and no-time-wasting style.” He is dual-qualified in Italy and England, and his expertise extends to PFI/PPP and asset finance.”
- Legal 500 2008 (Banking and finance)
“Peers … admire the work of the “extremely talented and dynamic” project finance specialist, Arturo Sferruzza, who recently assisted BayernLB with a EUR420 million real estate financing.”
Memberships and activities
Arturo is a regular speaker at conferences, seminars and training workshops on topics related to project finance and renewable energy. He is an active member of Grid Parity Project Italia and he is a published author on a wide range of legal topics, including the chapter on Italy in City and Financial’s “Guide to European PPP” (2009 edition).
Quali potenzialità dell’industria e del mercato del FV in Italia dopo il IV Conto Energia? Investitori e operatori finanziari a confronto.
Wind project developers, utilities, legal experts, financiers, banks, technology developers and policy-makers gather to discuss the current state and future of th....
Il presente documento illustra in modo sintetico le novità introdotte nel nostro ordinamento dalla recente normativa per favorire la realizzazione di infrastrutture .
L’articolo 33-quater del Decreto Legge 18 ottobre 2012, n. 179, inserito dalla legge di conversione 17 dicembre 2012, n. 221 (c.d. Decreto Crescita-bis), allo sco.
Congratulations to our Italian practice for being nominated as finalist in three categories in this year's Premio Internazionale Le Fonti - Le Eccellenza in Italia:.
Arturo Sferruzza comments on the Brebemi motorway infrastructure project..