John Coleman is Managing Partner of our Canadian practice and sits on our global executive committee. He is Chair of our Canadian management committee.
Mr. Coleman practises employment and labour law. For the past 25 years, he has focused on matters pertaining to federally regulated industries such as banking, transportation and communications companies. He has appeared on numerous occasions before the Canada Industrial Relations Board, labour arbitrators and the courts as counsel for major private and public sector clients.
Year of call
LL.B./B.C.L., McGill University, 1980
B.A., Jurisprudence (Rhodes Scholar), University of Oxford, 1978
B.A.(Hons.), McGill University, 1975
Selected client work
Mr. Coleman has acted as counsel to the following clients:
- CN (lead labour counsel in connection with its privatization process)
- National Bank
- Bell Mobility
- Maritime Employers Association
- Canada Post
- Aeroplan (lead labour and employment advisor in the creation of its income trust)
Rankings and recognitions
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2012: recommended in Employment Law and Labour Relations
- The International Who's Who of Management Labour and Employment Lawyers, 2011-2012
- Best Lawyers in Canada, 2012-2013 - Labour and Employment Law
- Guide to the World’s Leading Labour & Employment Lawyers, 2011
- PLC Which Lawyer? Cross-border Labour and Employee Benefits Handbook
- Best Lawyers’ Lawyer of the Year, 2009 - Labour and Employment Law, Montréal
Memberships and activities
- Canadian Bar Association
- Secretary, Quebec Rhodes Scholarship Selection Committee
- Former lecturer, Labour Law, Faculty of Law, McGill University
- Chair, Council for Services to Children and Adolescents (CSCA), The Montreal Children’s Hospital, (MUHC)
- Executive Committee, Montreal Children’s Hospital Foundation
- Centaur Theatre
John Coleman spoke to 680 News Radio in Toronto about our recent combination as Norton Rose Fulbright..
John Coleman comments on our combination as Norton Rose Fulbright and plans for continued expansion.