Energy is the cornerstone of our practice in Latin America. Our top tier team of lawyers have worked extensively for major energy companies including international oil and gas companies, large transnational companies and the largest group of international service providers operating in the region.
“Norton Rose Fulbright 'have specific insight on how the business is evolving in the region, and know key people in the industry.'” Chambers Global 2014
We advise junior and mid-level independents involved in the production of oil and gas, services companies, including oilfield, and engineering, procurement and construction companies. We also act on behalf of promoters, financial institutions, builders, suppliers, professionals, and governments or public agencies.
Our lawyers are bilingual (English and Spanish) and many are multi-lingual with experience working in numerous jurisdictions in Latin America and the Caribbean.
We are leaders in the Latin America energy sector for several reasons:
- Understanding of the energy sector – Clients rely on us for our extensive working knowledge in all energy matters including corporate, commercial, finance, regulatory, environmental, tax and dispute resolution. We have participated in multiple financings, including corporate debt, capital markets, reserve-based lending and borrowing, and project finance. Our energy lawyers advise on a myriad of projects – from complex, vertically integrated projects to smaller exploration projects to multi-jurisdiction transactions.
- Sector and regional expertise – We have a deep understanding of the legal regimes in which our clients operate and the regional issues they face. We also understand the political issues affecting investment in and financing of projects in Latin America and the Caribbean regions. Our lawyers have worked with clients in jurisdictions that face unique challenges because of their investment climates, and barriers and obstacles to investments and operations.
- Global coverage – In addition to our significant Latin America presence, our energy law practice is one of the largest teams of any law firm in the world. Many of our energy lawyers have worked at major energy companies and in the world’s leading energy-producing countries. The scale of our energy practice and the experience of our legal team mean we can offer clients comprehensive and informed regional and global advice.
- Local connections – We have a network of local agents that allows us to service clients in respect of regional projects and compliance with local laws and customs. We are accustomed to working closely together with tax, accounting and financial advisors to the benefit of our clients.
Rankings and accolades
- Chambers, Global (Venezuela) 2013 - Band 1 – Energy and Natural Resources
- Chambers, Latin America (Venezuela) 2012 - Band 1 – Energy and Natural Resources
- Legal 500 Latin America, 2012 - Tier 1 – Energy and Natural Resources
- Chambers 2012, Energy and Natural Resources - “The firm produces work of a high quality and its great lawyers are highly responsive, available and hard working.”
- Chambers 2012 - “The group has one of the largest global energy teams of any law firm in the world.”
- Legal 500 2012 - “(the team) has a strong energy, renewables and metals practice.”