Infrastructure, mining and commodities
Our mining and resources team provides legal services to national and international mining and resources companies throughout Colombia, Venezuela and many other jurisdictions in Latin America.
Our lawyers regularly represent companies in:
- The negotiation, acquisition, expansion and sale of mining projects in several Latin American countries, including Venezuela, Colombia, Mexico, Peru and the Guyanas.
- Exploration and project finance, both under loan and credit facility financings, commodities related finance and initial public offerings, reverse takeovers and continuing equity financings through international stock exchanges, including the Toronto Stock Exchange (TSX) and the Toronto Venture Exchange (TSX-V), The London Stock Exchange (LSE) and AIM.
- International corporate reorganizations, international and domestic corporate structuring of projects and mergers and acquisitions (including takeovers and arrangements).
- The granting and reorganization of international project financings by international financial institutions, export credit agencies, and/or the International Finance Corporation (the private sector finance arm of the World Bank)
Comprehensive industry knowledge – Companies with Latin American and global mining interests rely on our wide-ranging understanding of the mining industry and the critical business issues they face.
Full service expertise – Our mining and resources related expertise includes mergers and acquisitions, project finance, corporate finance and securities, including structuring and implementation of finance, and securities transactions at all levels of complexity, litigation, arbitration and alternative dispute resolution. We are internationally recognized in the area of arbitration for managing complex, multi-jurisdictional disputes.
Rankings and accolades
- The mining team received the Who’s Who Legal Global Mining Law Firm of the Year award in 2012 for its strong track record in the mining area globally, including its recognition as a leading mining practice in Latin America.
- Chambers Latin America, Venezuela (2011) “The firm is a giant in the energy sector, with a first-class team comprising some of Venezuela’s foremost energy and mining experts.”
- Chambers Latin America, Venezuela (2010) “This well-rounded team is the undisputed leader in Venezuela’s energy law market, and clients laud its technical knowledge and first-class client service.”
- Chambers Latin America (Latin America-wide) Spotlight table (2012) - Projects: Mining: Leading Canadian Firms 2012
Select client work
- Gran Colombia Gold in a series of separate transactions for the acquisition of various gold mining properties in Colombia, including the Frontino mine for an acquisition value of over US$200 million, considered one of the best gold deposits in Colombia.
- Gran Colombia Gold on its US$100 million offering of gold linked notes and common share purchase warrants.
- Gran Colombia Gold on its US$75 million offering of silver linked notes.
- Tolima Gold in a joint venture with IAMGOLD to develop Tolima Gold Inc,’s ANCAL project in Caldas, Colombia
- Anglo American plc in the Venezuelan legal aspects of the acquisition from Shell of a joint venture participation in a Venezuelan company, Carbones del Guasare, S.A., the titleholder of mining rights over the largest coal deposit in Venezuela.
- Anglo American plc in the Venezuelan legal and mining regulatory aspects of the nickel mining operations of a Venezuelan company, Minera Loma de Níquel, C.A., a recognized model in the country for mining operations and the largest nickel deposit in Venezuela.
- Coalcorp Mining Inc. in its US$125 million acquisition of certain coal mines in Colombia, and on the divestiture of certain coal mining assets and ports in Colombia.
- Bandera Gold Ltd. on the acquisition of mining properties in Colombia.
- Inter-American Coal Holding N.V. in the negotiation and sale to the Venezuelan state of its joint venture participation in a Venezuelan company, Carbones de la Guajira, S.A., the titleholder of mining rights over a coal project in Venezuela.
- Anglo American plc in the Venezuelan legal aspects of the sale to US-based Peabody Energy Corporation of a joint venture participation in a Venezuelan company, Carbones del Guasare, S.A., the titleholder of mining rights over the largest coal deposit in Venezuela.