Daniel Spencer advises financial institutions and corporations with respect to their Latin American finance and commercial transactions. His practice areas include project finance, structured finance, trade finance, bank finance and general commercial contracts. Daniel has extensive experience in the energy and infrastructure (including oil and gas) and agribusiness sectors, in particular in Brazil (where he has been based for over 6 years) and Peru (where he has been involved in a number of the recent high profile project financings). He received his L.L.B from the University of Exeter where he graduated with first class honors and his L.P.C from BPP Law School in London.
LPC, BPP Law School (London), 2002
LLB, First Class Honors, University of Exeter, 2001
- Represented the project sponsors in connection with the purchase of the rolling stock and systems and the related Inter-American Development Bank project financing for Line 4 of the São Paulo metro.
- Represented the project sponsor in connection with the construction and financing of offshore drillships.
- Represented Petrobras on an ongoing basis with respect to its E&P oil and gas activities offshore Brazil.
- Represented various project sponsors and underwriters on three separate transactions in connection with the securitization of Peruvian government payment certificates (CRPAOs) issued in connection with the construction of toll roads in Peru.
- Represented various project sponsors on two separate transactions in connection with the securitization of Peruvian government backed receivables (RPICAOs) arising out of concession agreements in connection with Peruvian water projects.
- Represented a fund manager in connection with the development of a real estate investment fund in Brazil.
- Represented various lenders and borrowers in connection with credit facilities, in particular secured pre-export financing transactions, in the Brazilian agribusiness sector.
- Represented various lenders and borrowers in connection with receivables discount facilities and import note programs.
- Represented various lenders and borrowers in connection with the refinancing of credit facilities.
- Represented various lenders and borrowers on transactions involving development bank and export credit agency financing.
- Law Society of England and Wales
Rankings and recognitions
- Recommended Lawyer, International Firms, The Legal 500 Latin America - Banking and Finance, Capital Markets and Projects and Energy, inaugural issue, The Legal 500, 2015 - 2018
- Leading Individual, Chambers Latin America - Banking and Finance, Chambers & Partners, 2017 - 2018
- Highly-regarded, Banking and Project Finance - Brazil, IFLR1000, Euromoney Institutional Investor PLC, 2018
- "What Happens If the US Ethanol Tariff Expires?," Project Finance Newswire, September 2010
- Peru Capital Projects & Infrastructure Summit 2014, Lima, Peru, August 27 – 28, 2014
Brazil has temporarily reduced its import tariff on foreign ethanol to zero until the end of 2011 in a move aimed at provoking the United States into letting its ethanol import tariff expire as sc....
September 10, 2010
Chadbourne & Parke LLP was pleased to accept two LatinFinance awards in connection with the firm’s work on the international offering to finance the construction of Line 2 of the Lima Metro sy....
October 07, 2016
Chadbourne & Parke LLP was once again ranked among the leading law firms practicing in Latin America in the 2017 issue of Chambers Latin America....
September 30, 2016