Leopoldo Escobar’s practice focuses on advising clients on international and domestic tax matters. Mr. Escobar has experience in the areas of tax treaties, corporate planning and reorganizations, individual and corporate income taxation, value added tax, state and municipal taxation, tax litigation matters and, in general, the taxation regime applicable to oil and gas projects in Venezuela.
Before joining our Caracas office, Mr. Escobar was the head of the tax department in the Caracas office of another international law firm where he also gained experience of the taxation regime applicable to large scale petrochemical projects in Venezuela.
He currently lectures on income tax at the CIAP (international centre for professional development) which is affiliated with the Universidad Católica Andrés Bello.
Year of call
Postgraduate Studies in Taxation, Universidad Central de Venezuela, 2005
LL.M., International Taxation, Universiteit Leiden, 2003
Law degree, Universidad Católica Andrés Bello, 1999
- “The international tax transparency rules, undercapitalization and limitations on the deductibility of financial expenses: Support for the International Double Taxation Agreements - Latin American Perspective,” Latin American International Taxation course, Universidad Complutense Madrid and IFA-LATAM Madrid, July 2012.
- “Tax Challenges in Construction, Financing and Operating Infrastructure Projects,” 5th Annual US - Latin America Tax Planning Strategies Conference, ABA, IBA and IFA, June 2012.
- “The 2010 update to the OECD Model. The new article 7 of the Model and its implications on the attributions of profits to permanent establishments” (panelist),International Workshop on Recent Developments on International Taxation and Transfer Pricing, Venezuelan IFA Branch, Caracas, December 2, 2010.
- “Latin American Oil, Gas and Mining Tax Issues” (panelist), 3rd annual US Latin American Tax Planning Strategies Conference, Miami, Florida, May 19-21, 2010.
- Second Regional Latin-American Conference, International Fiscal Association, Buenos Aires, April 7-9, 2010.
- “A current view of Tax Treaties entered into by Venezuela and the most efficient jurisdictions to make investments into the country,” Forum on Tax Matters, Institute for Professional Development of the Associations of Public Accountants of the Capital District and the State of Miranda (IDEPROCOP), Caracas, October 2009.
- “Taxpayers and Withholding Agents under the new interpretation of Article 31 of the Income Tax Law,” Current Topics in Tax Matters, VENANCHAM (Venezuelan-American Chamber of Commerce and Industry), Caracas, March 2009.
- “Current Tax Developments and Key Tax Issues” (panelist), 1st Annual US Latin American Tax Planning Strategies Conference, Miami, Florida, June 11-13, 2008.
- “Proposed Capital Tax and the impact of Venezuelan Tax Treaties,” tax conference, Universidad Católica Andrés Bello, April 2007.
- “Practical Seminar in International Taxation,” VIII Annual Tax Congress, Venezuelan Tax Association, Caracas, November 2006.
- The use of the Most Favored Nation Clause in Venezuelan Tax Treaties, Ediciones Liber, Caracas, 2008.
- “The entry into force of the Tax Treaty between Venezuela and Brazil,” Tax Analysts, Worldwide Tax Daily, July 27, 2011.
- “Venezuelan Year in Review,” Tax Notes International, Tax Analysts, Volume 60, No. 12, December 20, 2010.
- “The entry into force of the Tax Treaty between Venezuela and Vietnam,” Tax Analysts, Worldwide Tax Daily, November 22, 2010.
- Venezuelan IFA Branch Reporter on Subject 1 – “Is There a Permanent Establishment?”, IFA 2009 Congress in Vancouver.
- “The entry into force of the Tax Treaty between Venezuela and Malaysia,” Tax Analysts, Worldwide Tax Daily, September 11, 2009.
- “The entry into force of the Tax Treaty between Venezuela and Russia,” Tax Analysts, Worldwide Tax Daily, June 23, 2009.
- “MFN Clause Activated in Spain-Venezuela Tax Treaty,” Tax Notes International, Tax Analysts. November 12, 2006.
- “The Venezuela-Canada Double Tax Treaty Enters into Force,” Practical Latin American Tax Strategies, July 2004.
- “The Attribution of Profits to Permanent Establishments and fixed bases under the Venezuelan Income Tax Law,” Venezuelan Tax Law Review, April–June 2004.
Rankings and recognitions
- Chambers Latin America 2013 in the area of Tax
- The International Who’s Who of Corporate Tax, 2011/2012
- Chambers Latin America, Band 3 Leader in Tax - Venezuela, 2011 and 2012
- Chambers Latin America, “Up and Coming Leader” in Tax - Venezuela, 2009 and 2010
- International Tax Review - World Tax 2010, 2011 and 2012, recognized as a Venezuelan leader in international tax matters
- Chambers Global, “Up and Coming Leader” in Tax - Venezuela, 2008
Memberships and activities
- International Fiscal Association
- Venezuelan Association of Financial Law
- Venezuelan Association of Tax Law
- Miranda State Bar Association
The Ruling was published that establishes the requirements and procedures for obtaining the certificate of taxpayer or non-taxpayer..
Regulation N° SNAT/2013-0066 issued by the Venezuelan Tax Administration (SENIAT), which establishes the obligation of taxpayers to supply information about their....