Norton Rose Fulbright (Middle East) LLP
48th Floor, West Tower,
Bahrain Financial Harbour
PO Box 20437
Kingdom of Bahrain
“This international firm is a well-known brand… having been established in the country for several decades… clients praise its responsiveness, thoughtful approach and great grasp of the commercial implications. The firm has a diverse corporate practice, with experience ranging from real estate to telecoms, and a notable track record on local infrastructure projects” - Chambers Global – Bahrain, 2014
We opened our Bahrain office in 1979. We have a core team of lawyers on the ground and many other lawyers in the region working on Bahrain matters. We have a long-standing connection with the Ministry of Finance and the Central Bank of Bahrain.
We have been heavily involved in the development of Bahrain’s infrastructure, and are the only legal practice to have advised on all PPP infrastructure projects in the country. Our experience gives us a market-leading perspective on legal and regulatory issues, and in-depth knowledge of the key drivers of the Bahrain government and related institutions.
We have a core team of lawyers on the ground and many other lawyers in the region who advise on Bahrain matters.
Our areas of work include
Our experience includes
- AXA on various data privacy issues across the GCC - advising global insurance company AXA (via its regional head office in Bahrain) on various data privacy issues across the GCC countries where it has sales operations: Saudi Arabia, Oman, Bahrain, UAE and Qatar. This included guidance on whether certain data could be stored on a particular IT system, advice on specific guidelines and data processing standards, and details of procedures that financial institutions are required to follow when managing certain types of data.
- Establishing a real estate regulator in Bahrain - advising the Government of Bahrain, as part of a consortium with KPMG, on the creation of a new real estate regulator in Bahrain, as part of the Government's strategy to boost the economy and stability of Bahrain.
- Secured term and revolving facilities for Bahrain Steel - advising the mandated lead arrangers, Arab Banking Corporation (B.S.C.), HSBC Bank Middle East Limited and Mashreqbank psc in connection with a US$340 million secured term and revolving facilities for Bahrain Steel.
- Wastewater Treatment Plant PPP - advising the Ministry of Finance in relation to the construction and operation of a wastewater treatment plant in Muharraq (on a BOO) basis.
- First social housing PPP project in Bahrain - advising the lenders on the construction, financing and operating aspects of the first social housing PPP in Bahrain. The project will be developed by Naseej, a real estate and infrastructure development company, established by prominent private and public sector investors to act as a pioneering catalyst to address the region’s need for affordable housing.
- Islamic facilities to Viva Bahrain - advising HSBC Bank Middle East Limited on refinancing Islamic facilities to Viva Bahrain BSC, a subsidiary of Saudi Telecom Company. This transaction is the largest bilateral lend to a corporate in Bahrain to date.
- Bahrain Airport Company - advising the Bahrain Airport Company in relation to the preparation of a suite of standard form documentation.
- Shariah compliant infrastructure fund - advising a Shariah compliant international development finance institution on the establishment of a Bahrain domiciled infrastructure fund seeking to raise US$2bn to invest in energy and power projects in the Middle East and North Africa.
- ABC International Bank plc - advising ABC International Bank plc, a wholly owned subsidiary of Arab Banking Corporation on a £350m Shariah compliant development financing facility for the redevelopment of the Kings Reach Tower in London.
- Bahraini seated ICC arbitration - advising an international project management company before a Bahraini seated ICC arbitration in relation to US$2m of unpaid consultancy fees and related Bahraini court proceedings for over US$26m concerning allegations of fraud and negligence.
Awards and accolades
- Infrastructure law firm of the year in the Kingdom of Bahrain - Corporate International Global Awards 2014
- Banking and finance law firm of the year – Bahrain Acquisition International 2013
- Ranked band 1: dispute resolution - Chambers Global - Bahrain 2013
- Ranked tier 1: banking and capital markets; project finance; mergers and acquisitions - IFLR 1000 - Bahrain, 2013
- Partner Joanne Emerson Taqi awarded Euromoney’s Experts Guide 2013: The World’s Finest Lawyers Chosen by Their Peers
- Partner Joanne Emerson Taqi awarded Euromoney’s Experts Guide 2013: Guide to the World’s Leading Women in Business Law as one of Bahrain’s leading practitioners for the second year running