Global legal practice Norton Rose Fulbright has been named Maritime Lawyer of the Year at the Lloyd’s List Global Awards.
This award recognises the law firm that has offered the best service to the maritime industry over the past year, through exemplary expertise, innovation and commitment to the shipping industry.
Over the past year Norton Rose Fulbright has continued to grow its global shipping team, appointing four additional shipping partners, in Hong Kong, London, Melbourne and Singapore; hiring the only maritime disputes lawyer practising in an international practice in Tokyo; and significantly growing its New York shipping practice, which was established just two years ago.
Recent examples of Norton Rose Fulbright’s work include:
- Advising Alpha Bank on the securitisation of US$850m of shipping loans and involving 12 jurisdictions. The securitisation was arranged and financed by Citibank, and unlike many securitisations, the financing was provided in a loan style format.
- Advising OCBC Bank (Malaysia) Berhad and a syndicate of lenders on the US$755 million limited recourse project financing of the “Armada Kraken” floating production storage and offloading vessel for Bumi Armada Berhad, which will be located at the Kraken oil field in the UK Sector of the North Sea.
- Advising the individual shareholders of Samco Shipholding on the US$325m disposal by competitive auction of the issued share capital of Samco to DHT Tankers, the NYSE listed crude oil tanker company. The transaction was coordinated alongside DHT’s financing through a joint venture placement of listed stock and convertible notes.
- Advising Crédit Agricole Corporate and Investment Bank (CA-CIB) on the establishment of Sea Bridge Finance, a 50-50 joint venture with Sumitomo Mitsui Trust Bank (SMTB). Sea Bridge Finance will invest up to US$1 billion in senior secured ship mortgage loans over a period of three years.
- Advising The Export Import Bank of China (EXIM), the largest secured creditor in the Chapter 11 bankruptcy proceedings in Delaware involving the Overseas Shipping Group (OSG) and over 90 affiliated companies.
- Advising the owners and P&I insurers of MT Salvaliant following the stranding of 11 barges, two floating docks and a pontoon off Cape Town, South Africa.
Norton Rose Fulbright’s market leading shipping team is based throughout Europe, the United States, Canada, Latin America, Asia, Australia, Africa, and the Middle East and is one of the few global legal practices able to provide all the services needed by the shipping industry today.
For further information please contact:
Jane Lougher, Global Head of Business Development - Transport
Tel +44 20 7444 2063; Mob: +44 7595 886 200
Notes for editors:
Norton Rose Fulbright
Norton Rose Fulbright is a global legal practice. We provide the world’s pre-eminent corporations and financial institutions with a full business law service. We have more than 3800 lawyers and other legal staff based in more than 50 cities across Europe, the United States, Canada, Latin America, Asia, Australia, Africa, the Middle East and Central Asia.
Recognized for our industry focus, we are strong across all the key industry sectors: financial institutions; energy; infrastructure, mining and commodities; transport; technology and innovation; and life sciences and healthcare.
Wherever we are, we operate in accordance with our global business principles of quality, unity and integrity. We aim to provide the highest possible standard of legal service in each of our offices and to maintain that level of quality at every point of contact.
For more information about Norton Rose Fulbright, see nortonrosefulbright.com/legal-notices.
Law around the world