As a market-leading shipping practice with capabilities across Europe, the United States, Canada, Latin America, Asia, Africa, and the Middle East, we are ideally positioned to support our clients in the shipping industry wherever they are and wherever their issues arise.
“Esteemed shipping firm with offices across multiple jurisdictions and significant capability in both finance and litigation work.” Chambers Global, 2015
Our knowledge encompasses shipping finance, mergers and acquisitions, competition and regulation, infrastructure, energy and shipping litigation. We advise on the full range of shipping and offshore matters, from complex tax lease structures to anti-competition actions and ship building disputes.
We have worked with clients active in all areas of the shipping industry, including owners and operators, banks, trading houses, lessors, charterers, oil majors, LNG operators, brokers, ship builders, container shippers and cruise ship operators. In keeping with the global nature of the shipping industry, we offer clients the benefit of a global platform with a longstanding track record advising on cross-border matters.
- Extensive experience advising on all aspects of the shipping industry, from the most sophisticated private equity and capital markets financings to major casualties and marine insurance claims.
- An in-depth understanding of cross-border shipping matters, underpinned by a track record on some of the most complex multijurisdictional matters in recent years.
- A 24/7 emergency response service, comprised of Master Mariners and lawyers active in the shipping and offshore sectors, who provide practical legal advice on claims and investigations arising from maritime incidents.
Our recent experience
- Advising Alpha Bank on the securitisation of US$850m of shipping loans, comprising 33 individual shipping loans, which Alpha Bank will continue to service, and involving 12 jurisdictions. The securitisation was arranged and financed by Citibank, and unlike many securitisations, the financing was provided in a loan style format.
- Advising the individual shareholders of Samco Shipholding on the US$325m disposal by competitive auction of the issued share capital of Samco to DHT Tankers, the NYSE listed crude oil tanker company. The transaction was coordinated alongside DHT’s financing through a joint venture placement of listed stock and convertible notes.
- Advising Costamare Inc. on the formation of a joint venture with funds managed by York Capital Management Advisors LLC. The joint venture will invest up to approximately US$1 billion in equity for the acquisition of container vessels, and represents one of the most significant private equity investments into the shipping sector.
- Advising The Export Import Bank of China (EXIM), the largest secured creditor in the Chapter 11 bankruptcy proceedings in Delaware involving the Overseas Shipping Group (OSG) and over 90 affiliated companies. Our representation of EXIM was instrumental in our client receiving full payment of all principle, interest, fees and other costs that had been provided to enable OSG to finance the acquisition of three VLCCs and two Aframax vessels.
- Advising The Swedish Club and the owners of the containership vessel MV Rena, on the largest ever marine environmental incident in New Zealand.
- Advising the owners and P&I insurers of MT Salvaliant following the stranding of 11 barges, two floating docks and a pontoon off Cape Town, South Africa.
Awards and accolades
- Maritime Lawyer of the Year, Lloyd’s List Global Awards, 2015
- Shipping law firm of the year, Global Transport Finance, 2014 and 2013
- Latin American upstream oil & gas deal of the year, IJGlobal Awards, 2015
- ECA deal of the year, Marine Money Offshore Awards, 2014
- Band 1: Shipping: Finance, Chambers Global, 2015