Jason Lewis has been involved with the electric power industry since the early days of his career and has represented utilities, generators, traders and financial institutions in transactions, regulatory proceedings and litigations. Jason has expanded upon that experience to represent participants in the markets for natural gas, liquefied natural gas, and refined petroleum products.
He has particular experience with energy trading and marketing, including with respect to electric power, renewables, natural gas and refined petroleum products. As inside counsel for a major financial institution, he represented its global commodities business with respect to spot and forward sales and purchases of a wide range of commodities, including electric energy, capacity, ancillary services and renewable energy certificates, as well as derivative transactions with respect to an equally wide range of commodities. Jason also assisted a major oil refiner with respect to its formation of an organization to trade refined petroleum products.
In addition, he has negotiated master agreements such as the International Swaps and Derivatives Association Master Agreement, Edison Electric Institute Master Power Purchase and Sale Agreement and North American Energy Standards Board Base Contract for Sale and Purchase of Natural Gas, the Leadership for Energy Automated Processing Master Agreement for Purchasing and Selling Refined Petroleum Products and Crude Oil, and transactions under the WSPP Agreement. He also has advised clients with respect to the regulations of the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission and the Commodity Futures Trading Commission.
- JD, Cornell Law School, 1997
- AB, cum laude, political science and history, Duke University, 1994
At Duke, Jason was a member of the Political Science Honor Society and part of the Duke University Marching Band.
Jason's experience includes:
- Completed six-month secondment to major Gulf Coast oil refiner, assisting with the formation and development of its trading organization for refined products. Substantially revised the company's general terms and conditions for products trading. Also provided assistance with respect to agreements for the purchase and sale of refined products (including Renewable Identification Numbers) and agreements related to terminalling services.
- Represented major financial institution in its sale of a structured portfolio of contracts related to a wind-powered electric generation facility in the Pacific Northwest region; transaction structure included a total return swap covering the period prior to assignment of the applicable agreements.
- Drafted and negotiated tolling agreements with respect to natural gas-fired generating units of over 1,000 MW located in Southern California.
- Drafted and negotiated energy management agreements with respect to natural gas-fired generation facilities in California, Western, Pacific Northwest, Midwest, Mid-Atlantic, New York and New England regions.
- Advised major financial institution of pertinent risks arising from standard documentation related to utility procurement processes in more than eight states.
- Supported start-up energy trading business within major investment bank as it grew from 20 to more than 250 employees within a two-year period.
- Represented utility seller in auction of over 1,100 MW of coal-fired electric power generation.
- Counseled major financial institution regarding regulatory issues arising from the Dodd-Frank Act with respect to the forward contract exclusion, bookouts, and bilateral agreements to implement the ISDA August and March protocols.
- As inside counsel for a major utility holding company, represented interests of energy trading, power generation and electric transmission business units in proceedings at the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission regarding the mid-Atlantic, New England, Midwest and New York electricity markets.
- New York State Bar License
- "Real Life in the World of WSPP," panelist at WSPP Operating Committee meeting, March 2015
- "EEI Master Agreement 101," Brown bag lunch series of FERC Office of Policy and Research, October 2014
- "EEI Collateral Annex," EEI Master Agreement Training Series, June 2013
- "Wall Street's View on Dodd-Frank," EEI Compliance Seminar, December 2012
Memberships and activities
- Edison Electric Institute Contract Drafting Committee, Member and former Co-Chair