Marino J Sveinson
Marino Sveinson is a partner in our employment and labour group. He has practiced exclusively in the area of workplace law throughout his career.
Marino strives to provide strategic result-oriented advice and representation to employers for all aspects of workplace law in unionized and non-union environments in both the provincial and federal sectors.
He represents employers on human rights matters, wrongful dismissal matters, labour relations issues, collective agreement grievances, employment contract drafting and interpretation, privacy obligations, workers compensation, corporate restructuring and acquisitions and disputes over obligations of departing employees. He also acts as an independent investigator for bullying and harassment complaints and provides training services. Marino has represented clients at all levels of the courts in BC, federal court, collective agreement arbitrations, human rights tribunals, provincial and federal labour relations boards, and workers compensation tribunals.
LL.B, University of Toronto, 1999
B.A., University of British Columbia, 1995
Mr. Sveinson has acted in the following matters:
- Successful challenge to validity of union strike vote leading to prompt ratification of the collective agreement
- Successful defenses of union certification campaigns
- Strike planning and negotiation of essential services designations for municipalities
- Successful judicial review to Federal Court of a Canadian Human Rights Commission decision to refer a gender-based discrimination complaint to the Canadian Human Rights Tribunal
- Successful motion to dismiss a group of age-based discrimination complaints at the Canadian Human Rights Tribunal
- Advising on employment obligations related to acquisition and sale of businesses
- British Columbia 2000
- Yukon 2014
Rankings and recognitions
- Chambers Canada, British Columbia: Employment and Labour, Chambers and Partners, 2018
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, (2016-2017): recommended in Workplace Human Rights - Employer
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, (2017): recommended in Workers' Compensation - Employer
Memberships and activities
- Canadian Association of Counsel to Employers (CACE)
- member, Human Rights Subcommittee
- Canadian Bar Association – Employment, Labour, Human Rights, and Privacy subsections
- former co-chair, Human Rights Subsection
- BC Human Resources Management Association (BCHRMA)
- former member, steering committee for BCHRMA annual conference
- Co-chair, Human Rights Continuing Legal Education course in BC (2002 - 2011)
- the 2011 course won an international award of Outstanding Achievement in the Best Programs category from the Association for Continuing Legal Education Administrators
Please join our employment and labour group alongside guest speakers for our annual update of workplace legal topics important to your organization. .
Friday, June 2, 2017
Stay up-to-date on the latest developments in employment and labour law across Canada and see how they could affect the management of your human resources..
March 07, 2018
Stay informed with our Employment and Labour – 2016 Year in Review. This report provides an up-to-date compilation of the latest developments in E&L, enabling human resource managers, legal counsel, and business leaders .
March 07, 2017
Employee or contractor: The seven-part test.
July 12, 2017