Melissa L. Perry
Melissa Perry practises primarily in the areas of healthcare and life sciences. She advises health authorities, hospitals, research institutions and biotechnology companies on all aspects of the law affecting their operations, including contracts related to the provision of services, collaborative care arrangements, clinical trials or research programs, privacy issues, risk management, credentialing, hospital privileges, and related medical staff issues.
During her final year of law school, Ms. Perry clerked for the Supreme Court of the Northwest Territories.
Ms. Perry's interest in the intersection between healthcare and the law arose from her background as a frontline healthcare provider. Prior to receiving her law degree, she received her bachelor of science in nursing from the University of British Columbia, and worked as a registered nurse at BC Women's Hospital in Vancouver on a specialized unit for substance dependent women and their newborns.
J.D., University of Windsor, 2014
B.S.N., University of British Columbia, 2007
Rankings and recognitions
- Fasken Martineau LLP Achievement in Contract Law Award, University of Windsor
- McCarthy Tétrault LLP prize for academic achievement, University of Windsor
- Harold G. Fox Bursary awarded to the top-two students in her first-year class, University of Windsor
- "Medical assistance in dying in Canada: One Year Later," Health Law Pulse, April 27, 2017.
- "Update on Physician-Assisted Dying: The Changing Medical-Legal Landscape," Risk Management in Canadian Health Care, Volume 18, Number 2 (April 2016).
- "A loophole in the law of contracts? The application of the duty to act honestly," Health Law Pulse, March 2, 2016.
- "Physician-assisted dying Part 3: Finding a balance between autonomy and access," Health Law Pulse, February 19, 2016.
- "Physician-assisted dying Part 2: Implications for frontline healthcare professionals," Health Law Pulse, February 2, 2016.
Memberships and activities
- Medical Legal Society, Director
- CBA BC Health Law Subsection