Todd E. Alexander
Todd Alexander’s practice includes representing developers of and lenders to energy-related projects, including solar, wind, hydro, biomass, biofuel, fertilizer, desalinization and mining projects. He has participated in limited recourse financings in the United States, Latin America, Asia and Africa. He has represented both the sellers and purchasers of ownership interests in several power projects and biofuel facilities.
JD, Georgetown University Law Center, 1994
BS, University of Illinois, 1991
- Representing the developer of multiple offshore wind projects on the Eastern Coast of the United States.
- Represented the senior lenders to the 100 MW El Pelícano Solar Project in Chile.
- Representing the senior lenders to a 250 MW wind farm in the State of Nuevo Leon developed by Cubico.
- Represented the issuer of notes in connection with the financing of a portfolio of hydroelectric power projects.
- Represented a syndicate of lenders to the 700 MW combined-cycle natural gas fired power project developed by Advanced Power in Carroll County, Ohio.
- Represented AMP Capital as mezzanine lender to a 2.5 GW thermal generation portfolio owned by Invenergy.
- Represented Overseas Private Investment Corporation as senior lender to multiple wind farms in Pakistan.
- Represented the senior lenders to the Los Vientos I and II wind projects, which are two wind farms developed by affiliates of Duke Energy with an aggregate capacity of 402 MW.
- Represented Eagle Creek Renewable Energy, LLC in connection with the acquisition of North American Hydro Holdings LLC.
- Represented FMO and Proparco as mezzanine lenders to a 44 MW solar project in Peru.
- Represented LS Power in connection with the financing by commercial banks and institutional lenders of the Arlington Valley Solar project, a 127 MW photovoltaic solar project in Arizona with San Diego Gas & Electric as the offtaker.
- Represented the Carlyle Group, as senior lender to the Plainfield Renewable Energy project, a 37.5 MW biomass facility in Connecticut.
- Represented Bujagali Energy Limited as developer of an US$880 million, 250 MW hydroelectric project in Uganda.
- Represented El Paso Corporation in connection with the financing of a 380 mile gas pipeline in the United States.
- District of Columbia Bar
- New York State Bar
Rankings and recognitions
- Chambers Global, Project finance and Renewable energy, Chambers & Partners, 2018, 2015 and previous editions
- Chambers USA, Project finance and Renewable energy, Nationwide, Chambers & Partners, 2016 and previous editions, 2018
- The Legal 500 US, leading lawyer, Industry focus - Energy: renewable/alternative, The Legal 500, 2018
- The Legal 500 US, Energy: Renewable/Alternative, and Conventional power, The Legal 500, 2016, 2018 and previous editions
- The Legal 500 US, Finance - Project finance, The Legal 500, 2016, 2018 and previous editions
- The Legal 500 US, Energy: transactions - conventional power, The Legal 500, 2016, 2018 and previous editions
- Recommended Lawyer, International Firms, The Legal 500 Latin America - Projects and Energy, The Legal 500, 2017, 2018
- IFLR 1000, Guide to the World’s Leading Project Finance Lawyers, United States, Euromoney Institutional Investor PLC, 2017 - 2018
- Who's Who Legal 100, Project finance, Who's Who Legal, Law Business Research Ltd.
- Who's Who Legal, Project finance, Law Business Research Ltd., 2018
- The Best Lawyers in America, Best Lawyers, 2006-2019
Mr. Alexander is a regular contributor to the firm's Project Finance NewsWire, published bimonthly.
- "Community Solar Gains Ground in New York," Project Finance Newswire, November 2015
- "New USDA Loan Guarantees - Biorefinery Assistance Program, BAP," Project Finance NewsWire, April 2014
- "A Lifeline For Cellulosic Ethanol Projects in California? -- Renewable Fuel Standard, RFS, Low Carbon Fuel Standard, LCFS, Cellulosic Ethanol," Project Finance NewsWire, February 2014
- "Ethanol Loses Steam, But Only in Part: Cellulosic Ethanol, Corn-Based Ethanol, Renewable Fuels Standard," Project Finance NewsWire, December 2013
- "能源存储：路在何方," January 11, 2013
- "Round table: Infrastructure & Project Finance," Corporate Livewire, December 11, 2012
- "Energy Storage: The Road Ahead (Special Update)," November 19, 2012
- "Energy Storage Market set to grow to $25 billion by 2021," Project Finance NewsWire, November 2012
- Co-author, "US Cellulosic Ethanol Mandate Under Attack," Biofuels International, May 2012
- "Loan Guarantees and Great Expectations," Ethanol Producer Magazine, May 2011
- "Solar Market Expanding in Pennsylvania," Project Finance NewsWire, November 2010
- "Major Opportunities Ahead For Solar Development In New Jersey," Solar Industry, August 2010
- "Raising debt for US Solar," Project Finance International, July 28, 2010
- Co-author, "Revamped Solar Initiative in New Jersey," Project Finance NewsWire, July 2010
- "Project Finance & the New Energy Economy," Harris Group Engineering Inc., January 2010
- Co-author, "The Case for Cellulosic Ethanol," Daily Deal, March 2, 2009
- "The Risks of Greasing the Wheel," Journal of International Peace Operations, March-April 2009
- Co-author, "Overcoming Hurdles to Commercializing Cellulosic Ethanol," Project Finance NewsWire, January 2009
- Co-author, "Analysis: Why Aren't the Financial Markets Coming to the Aid of the Ethanol Industry?," Biofuels Journal, November 18, 2008
- Co-author, "Biofuels Strategies to Survive Loan Defaults," Project Finance NewsWire, November 2008
- "Coal-to-Liquids Projects in the United States," Project Finance, June 2008
- "Unlocking Solar Capital LATAM 2017," SolarPlaza, Miami, FL, June 15, 2017
- "Private Power Projects in Mexico," Platts, Mexico City, Mexico, November 21, 2014
- "Cost of Capital for Mid-Market Renewable Energy," ACORE Webinar, June 18, 2014
- "Examining Opportunities in the New Massachusetts SREC Market," New York, NY, March 18, 2014
- "Developing Biofuels Project in the Border Region," Border Energy Forum, San Antonio, TX, November 6-8, 2013
- "Leveraging Debt for Future Growth," Renewable Energy Finance Forum - Latin America and Caribbean (REFF-LAC), Miami, FL, April 30 - May 1, 2013
- "Developing & Financing Solar Projects in Central & Latin America," The International Green Energy Business Conference 2013, Daegu, Korea, April 3-5, 2013
- "Improving the Experience: A Panel of Developers and Agency Representatives Discuss Ways to Streamline and Otherwise Improve the Lending Process," Moderator, Focus on Emerging Markets: Energy Explosion, Washington, DC, January 10, 2013
- "US Offshore Wind Benchmarks and Bellwethers," Agrion, New York, NY, November 29, 2012
- "Emerging Structures for Renewable Energy Projects in the Post-Tax Grant Era," Infocast Project Finance: Advanced Course, New York, NY, September 21, 2012
- "Emerging Structures for Renewable Energy Projects," Infocast Project Finance:Advanced Course, New York, NY, March 21-23, 2012
- "Industry Panel: Solar Business Development and Research Cooperation Opportunities and Issues," The Second Annual US China Renewable Industry Forum, Washington, DC, September 19-20, 2011
- "Perspectives on Today's Capital and Loan Markets for Project Financings," Infocast Project Finance Tutorial, New York, NY, September 8, 2011
- "The Rise of Utility-Scale Solar Projects & Strategies for Development and Financing," West Legal Edcenter Webinar, July 20, 2011
- "US Hydroelectric Power in 2011: What Buyers, Sellers, Owners, Lenders and Developers Need to Know Today," Infocast Webinar, March 17, 2011
- "Cellulosic Ethanol Commercialization," Cellulosic Biofuels Summit 2010, Washington, DC, November 16, 2010
- "What Makes Green Energy Different," Focus on Emerging Markets, Washington, DC, September 16, 2010
- "Strategies for Financing Solar Projects on the East Coast," New York, NY, July 15, 2010
Memberships and activities
- Approved as a Certified Public Accountant (CPA), 1991
What practical lessons are developers taking away from projects in Mexico and Chile? How do risk-adjusted returns compare on Latin American projects to projects in the United States? Four develope....
August 21, 2014
Solar developers, tax equity investors and lenders are trying to figure out what value to assign to renewable energy credits that solar projects receive in Massachusetts for generating electricity....
April 01, 2014
Chadbourne & Parke LLP has been nominated by International Financial Law Review (IFLR) for five practice awards for their upcoming Americas awards ceremony....
March 27, 2017
Partner Todd Alexander discussed the recent fall in renewable energy certificate (REC) markets....
December 14, 2016