Joy Langford concentrates her practice on litigations and arbitrations on behalf of both ceding and assuming reinsurance companies. Ms. Langford has been involved in dozens of arbitrations and litigations involving current issues in property/casualty and life/health and financial reinsurance. She has handled matters relating to misrepresentation, fraud, bad faith and non-disclosure allegations, environmental liabilities; asbestos liabilities, surety bonds, 9/11 issues, finite reinsurance, weather derivatives, declaratory judgment expenses, and allocation issues. Ms. Langford's arbitration experience includes representing companies in private international arbitrations.
Ms. Langford’s practice also includes providing strategic counseling to clients in the insurance and reinsurance industry on a wide range of subjects. In this role, Ms. Langford routinely provides advice regarding allocation of losses arising out of continuous injury torts, captive company issues, compliance with the Terrorism Risk Insurance Act, reinsurance accounting and auditing, and the application of catastrophe and clash covers to losses arising out of corporate governance scandals, such as Worldcom, Enron, and the initial public offering (IPO) laddering schemes, as well as to losses arising out of disasters such as 9/11 and Hurricane Katrina. She also counsels companies on contract drafting, notice issues, settlements and commutations. Additionally, Ms. Langford has experience advising companies on a wide range of matters relating to their professional liability insurance programs, has counseled companies on compliance with the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, and as a member of our interdisciplinary Climate Change practice group monitors regulatory and legislative developments and assists companies with various insurance aspects of climate change.
- 1994 - J.D., cum laude, Georgetown University Law Center
- 1991 - B.A., highest honors and special distinction, Mississippi College
- District of Columbia State Bar
- Virginia State Bar License
Rankings and recognitions
- Guide to the World’s Leading Insurance & Reinsurance Lawyers, Euromoney PLC, 2006
- 40 under 40: People to Watch, Business Insurance magazine, 2004
- Awarded our pro bono award numerous times in conjunction with her work on behalf of victims of the 9/11 attack on the Pentagon, the Anti-Defamation League, the Constitution Project, the “Just Say No” organization and prisoners on death row in Alabama and Florida.
- "Climate Change Lawsuits Update," Client Alert, October 4, 2012
- "Understanding Reinsurance, (co-author), New Appleman Insurance Law Practice Guide," LexisNexis, January 2008
- Co-author, "Finite Risk Reinsurance, Insurance and Reinsurance," NewsWire, September 2005
- "Finite Reinsurance: A Risky Business?," JTW News, July 2005
- "Reinsurance Outlook 2010 Conference," New York, New York, February 9, 2010
- Co-chair, "Reinsurance Claims and Dispute Conference," New York, NY, September 10, 2009
- "Green Business Summit," New York, NY, June 18, 2008
- "Mealey’s Reinsurance Litigation and Arbitration Conference," Washington, DC, February 11-12, 2008
- "American Conference Institute's International Run-Off & Communications Conference," April 2006
- Co-chair, "ARIAS U.S. 2006 Spring Conference," West Palm Beach, FL, 2006
- "Assessing the Impact and Outcomes of Recent Insurance Investigations," 19th International Reinsurance Congress, Bermuda, October 19-21, 2005
- "American Conference Institute's International Run-Off & Communications Conference," September 2005
- "Mealey's Reinsurance 101," February 2005
- "Current Topics in Reinsurance," Mealey’s Fundamentals of Reinsurance and Insolvency Conference, Chicago, IL, October 21, 2003
- "Mealey’s Practical Overview of Current Reinsurance Issues," January 2003
- "Mealey's Reinsurance & Insolvency Roundtable," 2003
- "Mealey's Reinsurance 101," April 2001
Memberships and activities
- Adjunct Professor, Georgetown University Law Center (trial advocacy programs), 1996-2001
October 04, 2012
January 01, 2008
A Chadbourne & Parke LLP litigation team secured a complete trial victory on behalf of Starr Indemnity & Liability Company in a lawsuit Starr brought against American Claims Management (AC....
May 26, 2015
A Chadbourne & Parke LLP litigation team secured an important pre-trial victory on behalf of Starr Indemnity & Liability Company in a lawsuit Starr brought against American Claims Manageme....
April 28, 2015