Howard S. Beltzer
Howard S. Beltzer's practice focuses on major Chapter 11 proceedings and multinational restructurings. He has also advised numerous financial institutions in connection with structuring transactions involving insolvency-related concerns. He has developed particular experience in regard to the evolution of derivative products, as well as issues arising under the Uniform Commercial Code.
JD, editorial board, Yale Journal of International Law, Yale Law School, 1982
BA, magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa, Harvard University, 1979
- Represented one of the largest creditors and counterparties of the Lehman Brothers entities, as well as the administrators of one of the largest foreign Lehman Brothers entities.
- Represented the agent bank in a significant entertainment industry restructuring.
- Represented Linens 'n Things, Inc., a large retailer, in its Chapter 11 proceedings.
- Represented Mervyn's, a large California-based department store chain in connection with its Chapter 11 proceedings.
- Represented a leading European cable and telecommunications company in connection with its debt restructuring. The restructuring was effected through concurrent US Chapter 11 and Dutch moratorium proceedings involving the complex interaction of common and civil law insolvency regimes.
- Represented a leading multinational bank as agent to the Century Cable Holdings lenders in the Adelphia bankruptcy.
- Assisted in the representation of one of the world's largest generators and marketers of electricity and its affiliated debtors in their Chapter 11 proceedings.
Rankings and recognitions
- Chambers USA, Bankruptcy and Restructuring, Chambers & Partners, 2005-2016, 2018
- Legal 500 US, The Legal 500, 2006-2016,
- Legal 500 US, Finance - Restructuring (including bankruptcy): corporate, The Legal 500, 2018
- The Best Lawyers in America, Best Lawyers, 2008-2011, 2018-2019
- IFLR 1000, International Financial Law Review, 2004, 2006-2007
- New York Metro Super Lawyer, Bankruptcy, Thomson Reuters, 2006 - 2018
- "In re Fairfield Sentry Ltd.: Second Circuit Provides Guidance to "COMI" Determinations in Chapter 15 Cases," Bloomberg BNA Bankruptcy Law Resource Center, August 22, 2013
Memberships and activities
- Member, Section of Business Law and Business Bankruptcy Committee
- Member, Association of the Bar of the City of New York
- Member, American Bar Association
We would like to invite you to our Financial Services and Products Breakfast Briefing Multinational Restructurings - A Transatlantic Perspective.
October 26, 2017
Lenders with foreign hard currency loans like dollar and euro to Turkish borrowers (both financial institutions and corporates) need to pay close attention to the economic and political situation in Turkey..
August 09, 2018
More than 200 US oil and gas exploration and production companies carrying more than $100 billion in debt have filed for bankruptcy since late 2015....
April 06, 2017
Chadbourne & Parke LLP is pleased to announce that Howard S. Beltzer has joined the firm’s Bankruptcy and Financial Restructuring Group in New York. Mr....
January 06, 2017