Ikenna Emehelu helps sponsors, lenders and equity investors structure, negotiate and document project financing, acquisition and divesture of power, energy, transportation and other major infrastructure projects.
2002 - J.D., Yale Journal of International Law, Yale Law School
1999 - B.A., summa cum laude, University of Bridgeport
- Represented senior and back-leverage lenders in connection with the financing of the 230 MW Mariah North Wind power project, serving the high-demand ERCOT market in Parmer County, Texas, with a 13-year, fixed-price hedge for its power production.
- Represented Tenaska Power Funding in the US$455 million Term Loan B refinancing of three gas-fired power plants.
- Represented the senior lenders to the Los Vientos IA and IB wind farms, developed by affiliates of Duke Energy, with an aggregate capacity of 402 MW.
- Represented Caithness Energy and GE Energy Finance, as sponsors, in the development and financing of an 850 MW wind project in Oregon, including the application for a U.S. Department of Energy loan guaranty in support of the debt financing for the project.
- Represented North American Development Bank as senior lender to a 20 MWAC/25 MWDC solar facility in Arizona, developed by SunEdison, Inc.
- Represented the senior lenders, led by Union Bank of California and Santander, on the financing of the 484 MW gas-fired Walnut Creek power project in California, sponsored by Edison Mission Energy.
- Represented the Carlyle Group, as senior lender to the Plainfield Renewable Energy project, a 37.5 MW biomass facility in Connecticut.
- Represented Siemens Financial Services, Inc. in connection with a “holdco” financing for a 604 MW natural gas CCGT power plant.
- Represented lenders in connection with GenPower Holdings’ US$130 million construction financing for the Dunkard Creek water treatment facility to service Longview Power, LLC's approximately 769 MW coal-fired power generation facility in Monongalia County, West Virginia.
- Represented developer in turbine and construction-loan financing of 65 MW wind farm in Pennsylvania.
- Represented lenders in financing of an upstream and midstream oil and gas project in Arkansas.
- Represented a lender in equipment financing of heat recovery system generators for portfolio of power plants.
- Represented a lender in connection with the acquisition and project financing of hazardous waste recycling facility.
- Represented developer in multiple financings and acquisitions related to developer's portfolio of landfill-to-gas projects located across the United States.
- Represented issuers and underwriters in common stock, debt and hybrid securities offerings, including primary and secondary offerings, sovereign offerings, private placements and Regulation S offerings.
- Represented Jamaica Energy Partners in connection with its US$57 million private placement of debt secured by two power plants in Jamaica.
- Represented a US investor in connection with its investment in a 450 MW gas-fired power project in Nigeria.
- Representing a private equity fund in connection with the development and financing of a portfolio of solar-diesel hybrid projects in Africa.
- Representing a developer in connection with the development of a gas-fired power project in Ghana.
- Represented Conduit Capital Partners in connection with the development and project financing of a 66 MW HFO-fired power project in West Kingston, Jamaica.
- Representing a developer in connection with a private placement to raise funds to upgrade transmission grids in various African countries.
- Represented a consortium that was a finalist in the bid for the concession to finance, operate, maintain and rehabilitate the PR-22 and PR-5 toll roads in Puerto Rico.
- Represented Standard Bank in connection with project financing of a Mexican copper mine.
- Represented Standard Bank in connection with project financing of a Mexican gold mine.
- Represented sponsor in workout and divestiture of water and wastewater services concession in Puerto Rico.
- Represented commercial lenders in US$250 million expansion of nitrogen injection facility in Mexico.
- Connecticut State Bar License
- New York State Bar License
- "Trump and Africa," Project Finance NewsWire, February 2017
- "Infrastructure Funds Move Into SEC Spotlight," Project Finance NewsWire, December 2016
- "Infrastructure Funds Should Take Note of the SEC's Focus on Conflicts and Fee Disclosures," Fund Formation and Investment Management NewsWire, Winter 2016
- "Stronger US Focus on Africa," Project Finance NewsWire, April 2016
- "The US SEC Settles Claims Against Hitachi for Alleged Corrupt Payments to Obtain Contracts to Build South African Power Plants," Client Alert, October 8, 2015
- "Power Privatizations in Africa: Key Lessons," Project Finance NewsWire, November 2014
- "Irrational Exuberance About Africa?" Project Finance NewsWire, September 2014
- "Power Africa: Market Reactions to the Obama Initiative: Ethiopia, Ghana, Kenya, Liberia, Nigeria and Tanzania," Project Finance NewsWire, December 2013
- Panelist, “From Zero to Sixty: What It Takes to Launch an Investment Fund,” Harvard Social Enterprise Conference, Cambridge, MA, March 5, 2016
- Moderator, “Structuring Hybrid Deal Financings to Attract Institutional and Long-Term Investors,” Infocast’s Energy Project Finance Tutorial, New York, NY, December 9, 2015
- Moderator, “Is China's Footprint in Africa Declining? Emerging Alternative Finance Sources,” PAN Africa Network, New York, NY September 30, 2015
- Moderator, “Akon Lighting Africa,” Africa 2030: Enterprise-Led Future, New York, NY September 23, 2015,
- Panelist, "Power Africa Opportunities," Power Africa B2B Summit organized by the US Commerce Department, April 22, 2014
- Panelist, "The Role of the Private Sector in Filling Africa’s Infrastructure Gap," Harvard Africa Development Conference, Cambridge, MA, March 28–29, 2014
- Moderator, "The Re-Emergence of Mezzanine Financing," Power Generation Asset Financing Summit, New York, NY, May 21–23, 2012
- Moderator, "Market Liquidity, Credit, The Capital Markets and Deal Financing," Power Generation Asset Financing Summit, New York, NY, May 21–23, 2012
Memberships and activities
- Member, Executive Committee of the Yale Law School Association, 2009–2011
The Istanbul office held a half day seminar on March 24, 2016 to discuss how Turkish companies can take advantage of the growing number of investment and development opportunities in Sub-Saharan A....
March 25, 2016
The economic turmoil in China has rocked markets around the world and Africa has not been spared the upheaval....
September 30, 2015
US government programs to promote construction of new power projects in Africa face an uncertain future after the US elections. President Trump said little about Africa during the campaign....
February 15, 2017
Infrastructure fund managers should focus on the types of fees they charge their funds and the manner in which fees and conflicts are disclosed to fund investors....
December 15, 2016
Chadbourne & Parke LLP represented the senior construction loan lenders, Citibank, N.A. and HSBC Bank USA, National Association, and the back-leverage lender, CIT Bank, N.A....
February 18, 2016