Christy L. Rivera
Christy Rivera has extensive experience handling all types of bankruptcy and restructuring matters while representing financial institutions, corporate trustees, and other parties-in-interest in bankruptcy cases, out-of-court restructurings, and commercial finance transactions. A large part of her practice consists of transactional and advisory work representing lenders, sponsors, and borrowers in a wide range of corporate and financing transactions, including sales, securitizations, project finance, and other secured lending transactions. She has substantial experience advising lenders, lead arrangers and underwriters, sponsors, and other investors in connection with the acquisition and financing of energy infrastructure projects. She has also advised numerous lender groups in connection with projects that are in financial distress.
She is co-chair of the firm's New York Hiring Committee.
2001 - J.D., New York University School of Law
1998 - B.A., University of Michigan
- Representing NextEra Energy in connection with its acquisition of Energy Future Holdings Corp. and Oncor through a merger transaction with an enterprise value of approximately US$18.4 billion.
- Representing lenders to various SunEdison project companies in connection with the SunEdison bankruptcy cases.
- Representing Delaware Trust, as indenture trustee and a member of the creditors' committee in the CHC Group bankruptcy cases.
- Representing a large insurance company in litigation relating to the Lehman Brothers bankruptcy cases.
- Represented SolarCity Corporation in several securitizations of cash flows from distributed solar generation systems.
- Represented the lenders in connection with the US$4.025 billion financing of Train Two of the US$11 billion Freeport LNG liquefaction and export project located in Freeport, Texas.
- Represented the lenders in connection with the US$6 billion Phase II financing of the US$12 billion four-train Sabine Pass LNG liquefaction and export project located in Cameron Parish, Louisiana.
- Represented the lenders in connection with the US$3.6 billion Phase I financing for the first two LNG trains at the Sabine Pass LNG liquefaction and export project.
- Represented CSC Trust Company of Delaware, as indenture trustee and as a member of the creditors' committee in the Savient Pharmaceuticals bankruptcy cases.
- Represented the former Chief Bankruptcy Judge Arthur J. Gonzalez (S.D.N.Y.) in his capacity as the court-appointed examiner in the ResCap bankruptcy cases.
- Represented the creditors' committee in the Tribune Media Company bankruptcy cases.
- Represented HSBC Bank, as indenture trustee and as a member of the creditors' committee in the AbitibiBowater Inc. bankruptcy cases.
- Represented HSBC Bank, as indenture trustee in the Lehman Brothers bankruptcy cases.
- Represented numerous creditors, counterparties and account holders in the Lehman Brothers bankruptcy cases and related SIPA proceeding.
- Represented the ad hoc committee of swap counterparties in the restructuring of the monoline bond insurance company, ACA Financial Guaranty Corporation.
- Represented numerous account holders with approximately US$500 million of exposure in the Refco, Inc. bankruptcy cases.
- Represented The Royal Bank of Scotland plc in the Enron bankruptcy cases.
- Represented the St. Paul Travelers Company, Inc., as surety in the Asarco and Bethlehem Steel bankruptcy cases.
Rankings and recognitions
- "Rising Star," New York Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters, 2015
- "Second Circuit Provides Clear Guidance to Market on Scope of Permissible Acts under Trust Indenture Act Section 316(b)," Client Alert, January 30, 2017
- "The Trust Indenture Act: What is all the Fuss About?," International Restructuring NewsWire (Republished in Law360), Winter 2016
- “Federal Court Strikes Down Puerto Rico’s Recovery Act as Unconstitutional,” Client Alert, February 11, 2015
- "Puerto Rico Claims Authority to Nonconsensually Restructure Public Corporation Debt," Client Alert, July 7, 2014
- "Second Circuit Makes Challenging Implemented Plans More Difficult," International Restructuring NewsWire, March 2013
- "Can A Claims Purchaser Acquire Claims Free of Defects?," International Restructuring NewsWire, June 2012
- "Another Derivatives Dispute Resolved In Favor Of Lehman," Pratt's Journal of Bankruptcy Law, July/August 2011
- "Lehman Brothers: Limiting the Safe Harbors," (co-author), International Restructuring NewsWire, April 2010
- "Under'standing' a Creditor's Rights to Bring Actions Against Corporate Officers and Directors," International Restructuring NewsWire, September 2007
- "Recent Decision Puts Added Disclosure Pressure on Unofficial Committees," (co-author), International Restructuring NewsWire, September 2007
- "Are There Any Limits to Mandatory Subordination Under Section 510(b) of the Bankruptcy Code?," (co-author), Pratt's Journal of Bankruptcy Law, March 2007
- "Are Subsidiaries Really Bankruptcy Remote?," Project Finance NewsWire, (co-author), October 2005
- Puerto Rico Oversight, Management and Economic Stability Act (PROMESA) Webinar, New York, NY, July 12, 2016
- "Tips for Trustees: Out of Court Restructuring and the Trust Indenture Act," New York, NY, March 9, 2016
- Puerto Rico's New Public Corporation Debt Enforcement and Recovery Act – Restructuring Legislation for Commonwealth Instrumentalities Webinar, New York, NY, July 28, 2014
Memberships and activities
- Ms. Rivera is a member of the American Bankruptcy Association and the National Association of Women Lawyers.
Join us as we discuss the new Puerto Rico Oversight, Management and Economic Stability Act (“PROMESA”) enacted by Congress to address Puerto Rico's US$70 billion debt crisis and the role of the Ov....
July 12, 2016
Chadbourne hosted a panel discussion with a select group of industry professionals to discuss the Trust Indenture Act and its effect on out-of-court restructurings....
March 9, 2016
The Second Circuit has answered the question that many issuers, indenture trustees and noteholders have struggled with over the last couple of years—what actions (in connection with a restructurin....
January 30, 2017
Why would a 75 year old statute that has been rarely cited garner so much attention in the last two years? That statute, the Trust Indenture Act of 1939 or “TIA”, 15 U.S.C. § 77aaa et seq....
February 22, 2016
Chadbourne & Parke LLP is advising NextEra Energy, one of the largest electric power companies in North America, in its planned acquisition of Energy Future Holdings (EFH) and EFH’s stake in O....
February 21, 2017
Chadbourne & Parke and Norton Rose Fulbright announced that they will combine in the second quarter of 2017....
February 21, 2017