Jeffrey I.D. Lewis
Jeff Lewis is an intellectual property lawyer focusing on patent litigation in our New York office.
A trained chemical engineer and registered patent attorney, Jeff concentrates on patent litigation and also handles trademark matters, as well as other intellectual property and general litigation. Jeff represents both plaintiffs and defendants in a range of technology-related sectors but focuses primarily on pharmaceuticals, chemicals, biotechnology and life sciences; he has represented pharmaceutical innovators in numerous Abbreviated New Drug Application (ANDA) patent litigations.
Lewis has litigated more than 30 cases before the US Federal District Courts, and has argued numerous appeals before the US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.
Jeff has provided counsel to and appeared for AIPLA and other amicus curiae in numerous cases before the Supreme Court of the United States. Specifically, Jeff was Counsel of Record for AIPLA as amicus curiae before the Supreme Court of the United States in Limelight Networks, Inc. v. Akamai Technologies, Inc. concerning infringement when multiple parties are responsible, Quanta Computer, Inc. v. LG Electronics, Inc. considering the patent exhaustion doctrine, and KSR Int'l Co. v. Teleflex Inc. on infringement under the doctrine of equivalents, and has appeared for AIPLA in both the Supreme Court and Federal Circuit on many other cases including the seminal en banc Federal Circuit case on patent opinions of counsel, Knorr-Bremse Systeme Fuer Nutzfahrzeuge GmbH v. Dana Corp.
Jeff is admitted to practice before the US Supreme Court; US Patent and Trademark Office; United States Court of Federal Claims; US Courts of Appeals for the Second Circuit, Third Circuit and Federal Circuit; US District Courts for the Southern, Eastern, and Northern Districts of New York; the District of Connecticut; and the Northern District of Illinois.
- J.D., cum laude, Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, 1986
- B.S., chemical engineering, University of Connecticut, 1983
In law school, Jeffrey was active in student government and P.A.D., and was an Alexander Judicial Fellow to Judge Marion T. Bennett, U.S. Court of Appeals for Federal Circuit.
During undergraduate, Jeffrey was involved with student government, was the Student Ombudsman and active in Delta Chi and WHUS.
- Patent Litigation and Counseling - Representing both plaintiffs and defendants in patent infringement cases for various pharmaceutical, chemical, biotechnical, business method, electronic and manufacturing concerns including ANDA litigation on behalf of innovators. Preparation of opinions concerning patentability, validity, enforceability and infringement.
- Patent, Trademark and Copyright Licensing, Transfers and Collateralization - Representation of transferors, transferees and lenders concerning intellectual property transfers, sales and licenses, and related review of intellectual property portfolios including preparation of opinions concerning validity, enforceability, title and encumbrances.
- Trademark, Trade Dress and Copyright Litigation, Counseling and Prosecution - Prosecution and defense of infringement, opposition and cancellation proceedings before the courts and the Patent & Trademark Office for pharmaceutical, chemical, manufacturing, cosmetic, garment and financial concerns. Preparation of opinions concerning availability, registrability and infringement.
- Commercial/Trade Secret Disputes Litigation, Counseling and Prosecution - Prosecution - Litigation of various commercial and trade secret disputes involving employment agreements, product and process development contracts, art transactions and commercial leases.
- Connecticut State Bar License
- New York State Bar License
- US Patent & Trademark Attorney
Rankings and recognitions
- Chambers USA, New York: Intellectual Property: Patent, Chambers & Partners, 2008 - 2017
- New York Metro Super Lawyer, Intellectual Property Litigation, Thomson Reuters, 2007 - 2017
- The Best Lawyers in America, New York Patent Law, Best Lawyers, 2012 - 2018
- New York Litigation Star, Euromoney Institutional Investor PLC's Benchmark: America's Leading Litigation Firms and Attorneys
- National Star, Euromoney Institutional Investor PLC's Benchmark: America's Leading Litigation Firms and Attorneys
- Who's Who Legal, Life Sciences, Law Business Research Ltd.
- Who's Who Legal, Patents, Law Business Research Ltd.
- Founder's Circle, Delta Chi Educational Foundation, 2005.
- Sense-of-the Board Resolution, City of Stamford, CT, 1997.
- Award of Excellence, Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts, 1997.
- "Louis Clapes Citizen of the Year," North Stamford CT Association, 1997
- Co-author, "The HEART of TC Heartland: Going to The Defendant's Home?," American Intellectual Property Law Assoc. 2017 Annual Meeting
- Co-author, "One Month Since TC Heartland – A Look at Patent Infringement Filing Trends in the District Courts," Fried Frank Into the Heartland Resource Center, July 7, 2017
- Co-author, "2015 Patent Year in Review … and 2016 Preview," Univ. of Akron 18th Annual Symposium on IP Law & Policy, March 2016
- Co-author, "Patent Eligibility and Dispositive Motions: Strategies for Navigating 101 Rabbit Holes in a Post-Alice World," AIPLA MidWinter Institute, Jan. 29, 2016
- Co-author, "Entering the Innovation Twilight Zone: How Patent and Antitrust Law Must Work Together," 17 Vanderbilt J. of Entertainment & Technology Law 3, 2015
- "What Is FRAND All About? The Licensing of Patents Essential to an Accepted Standard," Cardozo Intellectual Property Law Alumni Newsletter, Spring 2014
- Co-author, "An Unforeseen Obstacle: Consultants can prevent patent validity challenges through the use of the assignor estoppel," Intellectual Property Magazine, May 2014
- "About Intellectual Property Lawyers," Law Practice Today, Oct. 2013
- Co-author, "The Goddess Divines Patent Law: A Design for Patent Re-Design?," IP Litigator, Patent Litigation Column, March/April 2008
- Speaker, "The HEART of TC Heartland: Going to The Defendant's Home?," American Intellectual Property Law Assoc. 2017 Annual Meeting, Washington, DC, October 19, 2017
- Moderator, "The Changing Patent Scene in the USA," 2nd International Convention on The Economy of Innovation, Tel Aviv, Israel, March 21, 2016
- Speaker, "Litigating Patent Eligibility via Dispositive Motions in the U.S.A.," Second International Convention on The Economy of Innovation, Tel Aviv, Israel, March 21, 2016
- Speaker, "Patent Law Developments," 18th Annual Symposium on Intellectual Property Law and Policy, Akron, OH, March 14, 2016
- Speaker, "How to Survive Early Disposition when Litigating 101 Issues," Enforcing IP – From Creation to Monetization and Litigation, La Quinta, CA, January 27, 2016
- Panelist, "Protecting Privilege: Patents Agents Within the Bar, and Patent Attorneys Beyond the Bar," Webinar, November 12, 2015
Memberships and activities
- American Bar Association
- Intellectual Property and Litigation Sections, Subcommittee Chair on Willful Infringement, 1990-91 and 2005-6
- Select Committee on the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, Subcommittee on a Commission for the Judicial Selections, 1989
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- President, 2012-2013; President Elect 2011-2012
- First Vice President, 2010-2011; Second Vice President, 2009-2010
- AIPLA Fellow, 2007-present
- Board of Directors, 2003-2006
- Nominations Committee Chair, 2015; Vice Chair 2014
- AIPLA Quarterly Journal Editorial Board, various years, Board Liaison
- Special Task Force on Association Information Technology, Chair, 2007-2009
- Patent Law Committee Vice Chair, 2006-2008
- Patent Litigation Committee Chair, 2001-2003; Vice Chair, 1999-2001; Chair Subcommittee on Markman Proceedings, 1997-2003; Subcommittee on Uniform Jury Instructions 1994-7
- Federal Circuit Case Law Summaries, 1991-1995
- AIPPI-US (U.S. division of Association Internationale pour la Protection de la Propriété Intellectuelle)
- President, 2012-2013
- President Elect, 2011-2012
- Litigation Committee, Subcommittee on Privilege, 2014- present
- AIPPI-International, Amicus Committee, 2017-present
- American Intellectual Property Law Educational Foundation, Trustee, 2009–2011
- Hon. William C. Conner Inn of Court, Inaugural Member, 2008-present
- Federal Circuit Bar Association
- Intellectual Property Owners Association
- Litigation Committee, 2016–present
- Patent Agent Privilege Subcommittee Chair, 2016
- New York Intellectual Property Law Association
- Legal Aid Committee, Chair, 1991-1994
- Special Subcommittee Concerning Ruling on Section 337 of the Tariff Act of G.A.T.T., 1989-1990
- Publications Committee, 1987-1990; Litigation Practice & Procedure Committee, 1991-2004; Amicus and Legislative Oversight, 2004-present
- Benjamin N. Cardozo IP Alumni
- Intellectual Property Editorial Advisory Board, Law 360, 2017
- TekCaptial Ltd., 2012–2015
- Editorial Advisory Board for T. Turano, Obtaining Patent, 1997
Norton Rose Fulbright today announced that Jeffrey I.D. Lewis, an intellectual property lawyer focusing on patent litigation, including Hatch-Waxman cases, has joined the global law firm as a partner in its New York office..
September 12, 2017