Mario Lisanti is a banking lawyer based in Milan. He specialises in all major areas of domestic and cross-border debt financing and structured finance, including acquisition finance, real estate finance, project finance and telecoms finance, as well as debt restructuring.
Mario holds a law degree magna cum laude from the University of Bari (1995), an LL.M. in EU Business Law from the Amsterdam Law School (1996) and, following successful completion of the “European Young Lawyers’ Scheme” organised by the British Council, a Diploma in English Commercial Law (with merit) from the College of Law of London (2002). He qualified to practice as an Italian avvocato in 1998 and as a Solicitor of the Senior Courts of England and Wales in 2003.
Mario is a native Italian speaker and he is fluent in English.
Selected client work
- acted for UniCredit Bank AG, Milan branch, IKB Deutsche Industriebank AG, Milan branch, and GE Capital S.p.A. as mandated lead arrangers of the debt package supporting the LBO of Microgame S.p.A. by MCP MIC S.r.l., a vehicle owned by two US private equity funds, Monitor Clipper Partners and TPG Capital.
- acted for Biancamano S.p.A. (a company listed on the Milan Stock Exchange and Italy’s largest private waste management company) on the debt package supporting its acquisition of Manutencoop Servizi Ambientali S.p.A.
- acted for Banca Infrastrutture Innovazione e Sviluppo S.p.A., Banca Monte dei Paschi di Siena S.p.A. and UniCredit Corporate Banking S.p.A. as lenders of the debt package supporting the creation of Fondo Immobiliare - Comune di Milano I, a real estate fund managed by BNP Paribas REIM Italy SGR p.A. and set up to maximise the value of a large real estate portfolio owned by the Municipality of Milan.
- acted for Banca Nazionale del Lavoro S.p.A. as sole arranger and lender of the debt package supporting the creation of Fondo Immobiliare - Comune di Milano II, a real estate fund managed by BNP Paribas REIM Italy SGR p.A. and set up to maximise the value of another real estate portfolio owned by the Municipality of Milan.
- acted for UniCredit S.p.A., as mandated lead arranger, facility agent and lender, as well as Credito Bergamasco S.p.A., Banca Popolare di Vicenza S.c.p.A., Banca Popolare di Milano S.c.a.r.l. and Banca Popolare di Lodi S.p.A., as lenders, in connection with a strategic financing to Linkem S.p.A. for the expansion and development of its WiMAX business in Italy.
- acted for UniCredit S.p.A., Centrobanca S.p.A., Banca Nazionale del Lavoro S.p.A., Banca Popolare Friuladria S.p.A., Banca Popolare di Vicenza S.c.p.a., Banca Antonveneta S.p.A., Banca Popolare di Verona - S. Geminiano e S. Prospero S.p.A., Mediocredito del Friuli-Venezia Giulia S.p.A. and Veneto Banca S.p.A. on the debt restructuring of Appliances Components Companies S.p.A. (the parent company of the ACC Group) and its subsidiary Elettromeccanica S.p.A.. ACC Group is a world leader in the design, manufacturing and marketing of components for household and industrial appliances, and has numerous international subsidiaries and affiliates, including in Germany, Austria, China and the US.
- acted for UniCredit S.p.A., Intesa Sanpaolo S.p.A., Centrobanca S.p.A., Banca Popolare di Milano S.c.a r.l. and Banca Popolare di Vicenza S.c.p.A on the debt restructuring of Aicon Group. Aicon Group is a fast-growing group operating in the design, production and sale of luxury motor yachts. Aicon S.p.A. is the parent company of the group and its shares are listed on the Milan Stock Exchange.
Rankings and recognitions
- Best Lawyers 2012
Mario Lisanti is named in the third edition of the Best Lawyers list for Italy in the practice areas of Acquisition Finance, Banking, Debt and Leveraged Finance. The directory can be viewed on: www.bestlawyers.com. Selection to Best Lawyers is based on a peer-review survey, comprising of more than three million confidential evaluations by top attorneys.
- Legal 500 2012 (Banking and finance)
“Mario Lisanti is experienced in real estate and acquisition financings, debt restructuring and syndicated lending.”
- Legal 500 2012 (Real estate)
“Mario Lisanti is recommended.”
- Legal 500 2012 (Restructuring and insolvency)
“Norton Rose Studio Legale acted for several banks on the €51m debt restructuring of natural gas distributor Servizi Energetici Integrati and its subsidiaries. Team leader Mario Lisanti is well regarded.”
- Chambers Global and Chambers Europe 2012 (Banking and finance)
“Sources value Mario Lisanti's relentless support and say he is ‘proactive in finding quick solutions’.”
- Chambers Global and Chambers Europe 2012 (Restructuring and insolvency)
“The talented Mario Lisanti is dual-qualified in Italy and England and Wales. Head of the department in Milan, clients describe him as ‘a proactive, serious professional who has strength in all aspects of restructuring’."
- Chambers Global 2011 (Banking and finance)
Mario Lisanti is “a very incisive lawyer.”
- Chambers Global 2011 (Restructuring and insolvency)
“Clients value Mario Lisanti … for his keen negotiation skills.”
- Chambers Europe 2011 (Banking and finance)
Mario Lisanti is “smart and sensible.”
- Chambers Europe 2011 (Restructuring and insolvency)
“Clients praise his practical and attentive approach to negotiations.”
- Legal 500 2011 (Banking and finance)
Mario Lisanti is “recommended.”
- Legal 500 2011 (Restructuring and insolvency)
“Mario Lisanti has an active debt restructuring practice.”
- Chambers Global 2010 (Banking and finance)
“Mario Lisanti has impressed clients with his professionalism and measured approach.”
- Legal 500 2009 (Banking and finance)
“Mario Lisanti is recommended for real estate financings.”
- Chambers Global 2008 (Banking and finance)
“Mario Lisanti joined the Norton Rose team from Allen & Overy in 2006 and is distinguished by his “efficiency and the way he manages international teams.” Lisanti’s expertise includes leveraged finance, syndicated lending, real estate finance and restructuring. … he is dual-qualified.”
- Legal 500 2008 (Real estate)
“Mario Lisanti is recommended.”
Memberships and activities
Mario is an active member of the Turnaround Management Association. He has been a Research Fellow in Private Law and Comparative Corporate Law at the University of Bari for several years, and has lectured for post-graduate courses at leading Italian universities, including the LUISS Business School. He has published a number of articles and papers in leading Italian and international legal journals and has co-authored books on private equity, takeovers and securitisation.
Mario is a regular speaker at domestic and international conferences and seminars on banking and restructuring matters.
Thursday, 1 December 2011, starting at 17.00.
Il presente documento illustra in modo sintetico le novità introdotte nel nostro ordinamento dalla recente normativa per favorire la realizzazione di infrastrutture .
Italy has one of the highest energy import dependence rates as compared to other EU member states..
Leading international legal practice Norton Rose has advised Emerisque Brands UK Limited (“Emerisque Brands”), a growth-oriented global investor, in relation to the .
Mario Lisanti is quoted discussing the need to consider slightly different structures in order to complete new LBO transactions in Italy..