Eric Lefebvre's litigation practice involves a broad range of civil and commercial litigation matters, including banking, corporate disputes, class actions, competition law, consumer law, commercial contracts and civil liability. He has particular expertise in urgent remedies such as seizures and injunctions of various kinds. He has been retained both by petitioners and respondents in many high-stakes shareholder oppression cases and has defended parties facing cartel and bid-rigging accusations before criminal courts.
Mr. Lefebvre represents clients before the Quebec and federal courts as well as before regulatory bodies such as the Competition Tribunal. He has been involved in almost all investigations led by the Competition Bureau in Quebec as well as ensuing class actions. In addition, he acts in commercial arbitration proceedings.
Mr. Lefebvre is Montréal chair of our Canadian litigation group.
LL.L., University of Ottawa, 1995
B.Adm., University of Ottawa, 1992
Canadian Securities Course, Canadian Securities Institute
Mr. Lefebvre has acted recently as litigation counsel to the following clients:
- TIN Inc. in defending class actions relating to allegations of a price-fixing cartel related to drywall
- Royal Bank of Canada in defending a class action relating to allegations of purported violations of the Quebec Consumer Protection Act
- Industries Lassonde inc. in defending a class action relating to allegations of purported misleading advertising in violation of the Competition Act and the Quebec Consumer Protection Act
- Automobile parts suppliers in an ongoing investigation by the Competition Bureau concerning allegations of an international price-fixing cartel as well as in defending ensuing class actions
- Ventilex Inc. in defending bid-rigging accusations
- Kelly Sani-Vac Inc., in defending bid-rigging accusations
- Petro-Canada in defence of a motion for authorization to institute a class action arising from allegations of a price-fixing conspiracy related to the retail sale of certain petroleum products in Quebec
- A prominent participant in the road signage and lighting industry with regard to an ongoing investigation by the Competition Bureau concerning allegations of a market-sharing and bid-rigging cartel
- A prominent participant in the paving industry with regard to an ongoing investigation by the Competition Bureau concerning allegations of a market-sharing and bid-rigging cartel
- A prominent participant in the shipping industry with regard to an ongoing investigation conducted by the Competition Bureau into allegations of an international price-fixing cartel
- “The carrot and stick approach: the Commissioner of Competition is taking a growing interest in your corporate compliance program,” Norton Rose Fulbright, Montreal, Quebec, 2015.
- “Bid-Rigging - The Criminal Provision,” Competition Law Spring Forum, Canadian Bar Association, Toronto, Ontario, June 2015.
- “Les différentes formes de cartel,” Centre d’études en droit économique (CEDE), Laval University, Quebec City, Quebec, May 28, 2014.
- “Immunity and Leniency under Fire: What’s Next?” Annual Competition Law Fall Conference, Canadian Bar Association, Ottawa, Ontario, 2013.
- “Recent Developments in Class Actions: The End of the Indirect Purchaser Class,” Annual Competition Law Fall Conference, Canadian Bar Association, Gatineau, Quebec, 2011.
Memberships and activities
- Canadian Bar Association
- American Bar Association
November 10, 2015
The Ontario Court of Justice recently released a noteworthy decision considering the definition of “security” under the Ontario Securities Act (the Act)..
November 29, 2016
This year, over 80 corporate counsel and business leaders from Canadian companies participated in the 2016 Litigation Trends Annual Survey, providing their experiences and perspectives on litigation matters..
October 20, 2016