Solomon Sananes practises in the area of corporate finance and securities (including both private placements and public financings), mergers and acquisitions, and corporate governance.
In the area of corporate financing, he acts in numerous Canadian and Canadian/US cross-border offerings of debt, equity and derivative instruments on behalf of issuers, selling shareholders and underwriters. In mergers and acquisitions, he participates in a variety of significant transactions, acting for both buyers and sellers of public and private companies. He also advises a number of Canadian public companies on continuous disclosure obligations, governance issues and the conduct of shareholders' meetings.
Mr. Sananes is Co-Chair of our corporate finance and securities team and a member of the legal advisory committee to the Autorité des marchés financiers (Quebec Securities Commission).
Year of call
B.C.L./LL.B., McGill University, 1992
B.Comm., McGill University, 1992
Selected client work
Mr. Sananes acted recently for the following clients:
- Issuers and underwriters in connection with numerous Canadian, Canada/US cross-border, and international financings of debt and equity including offerings by Bombardier Inc., Caisse centrale Desjardins inc., Capital Desjardins inc., Power Corporation, Power Financial Corporation, Quebecor Media Inc., Quebecor World Inc., Videotron ltee, BCE Inc., SNC-Lavalin Group Inc., Domtar Inc. and others
- Wajax Income Fund in connection with a secondary offering by ECL Western Holdings Limited and The Sobey Foundation of Fund units for $127 million
- McKesson Canada in the acquisition of Patient Direct Group and Specialized Health Care Corporation, an Oakville, Ontario-based specialty and biological drug distribution, patient support and direct-to-patient drug dispensing business
- Otto Bock HealthCare GmbH in connection with the establishment of a joint venture with Victhom Human Bionics Inc.
- Quebecor World Inc. (now World Color Press Inc.) in its successful emergence from creditor protection under the Companies' Creditors Arrangement Act (CCAA) in Canada and, in respect of certain US subsidiaries, Chapter 11 of the United States Bankruptcy Code
- Quebecor Media Inc. in connection with the privatization of its publicly traded subsidiary, Nurun Inc.
- Quebecor Media Inc. in connection with its takeover bid for all of the issued and outstanding units of Osprey Media Income Fund
- Domtar Inc. in its cross-border merger with the fine paper business of Weyerhaeuser, creating Domtar Corporation
- Arcelor SA in connection with its take-over bid for Dofasco Inc. and in connection with the Canadian aspects of its merger with Mittal Steel Co. NV
- Bombardier Inc. in connection with its restructuring and recapitalization program including the sale of its Recreational Products Division
Rankings and recognitions
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2012: recommended in Corporate Finance & Securities
- Best Lawyers in Canada, 2012-2013 - Corporate Law, Mergers & Acquisitions, Securities Law
- Best Lawyers in Canada, 2010-2011 - Corporate Law: Finance, Securities Law
- Best Lawyers in Canada, 2008-2009 - Corporate Law: Finance
- Recognized in the November/December 2004 issue of Lexpert magazine as one of Canada's “Top 40 lawyers under 40”
- One of “40 Corporate Lawyers to Watch” in the Lexpert/American Lawyer 2006 Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada
Memberships and activities
As part of our Continuing Education Seminar Series we hosted on November 17, in our Montréal office, a seminar on governance..
Le 29 novembre 2012, les autorités canadiennes en valeurs mobilières (ACVM) ont adopté des modifications visant le Règlement 54-101 sur la communication avec les....
On November 29, 2012 the Canadian Securities Administrators (CSA) adopted amendments to National Instrument 54-101 Communication with Beneficial Owners of....