John Coleman is Managing Partner of our Canadian practice and sits on our global executive committee. He is Chair of our Canadian management committee.
Mr. Coleman practises employment and labour law. For the past 25 years, he has focused on matters pertaining to federally regulated industries such as banking, transportation and communications companies. He has appeared on numerous occasions before the Canada Industrial Relations Board, labour arbitrators and the courts as counsel for major private and public sector clients.
Year of call
LL.B./B.C.L., McGill University, 1980
B.A., Jurisprudence (Rhodes Scholar), University of Oxford, 1978
B.A.(Hons.), McGill University, 1975
Selected client work
Mr. Coleman has acted as counsel to the following clients:
- CN (lead labour counsel in connection with its privatization process)
- National Bank
- Bell Mobility
- Maritime Employers Association
- Canada Post
- Aeroplan (lead labour and employment advisor in the creation of its income trust)
Rankings and recognitions
- Best Lawyers in Canada, 2012-2015 - Labour and Employment Law
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2012 and 2014: recommended in Employment Law and Labour Relations
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2013: recommended in Employment Law (Management); Labour Relations (Management)
- The International Who's Who of Management Labour and Employment Lawyers, 2011-2013
- Guide to the World’s Leading Labour & Employment Lawyers, 2011
- PLC Which Lawyer? Cross-border Labour and Employee Benefits Handbook
- Best Lawyers’ Lawyer of the Year, 2009 - Labour and Employment Law, Montréal
Memberships and activities
- Canadian Bar Association
- Secretary, Quebec Rhodes Scholarship Selection Committee
- Former lecturer, Labour Law, Faculty of Law, McGill University
Norton Rose Fulbright Canada announces today that Charles Hurdon will become its new Managing Partner as of January 1, 2015.
October 29, 2014
Global legal practice Norton Rose Fulbright achieves top 3 ranking in the Acritas Sharplegal 2014 Global Elite Brand Index – a rise of four places from 2013..
September 30, 2014