Norman M. Steinberg, PC, CC, LLD (The Right Honourable)
Chair Emeritus – Canada
Norman Steinberg is chair of the partnership committee, chair of the risk and audit committee, a member of the global audit committee and of the global supervisory board. He is former chair of Canada’s diversity and inclusion committee and is a member of the global diversity and inclusion advisory council. He focuses on mergers and acquisitions, corporate finance, privatization and corporate governance.
Mr. Steinberg’s mergers and acquisitions experience includes multi-billion dollar transactions in the hospitality, oil and gas, telecommunications, paper and printing, rolling products and electronics sectors. He has acted in numerous privatization matters for governments and major Canadian and North American companies.
Within corporate finance, he conducts numerous Canadian and Canada/US cross-border and international financings for both issuers and underwriters. He has acted in numerous initial public offerings in various industry segments.
In the area of corporate governance, Mr. Steinberg frequently advises on directors and officers’ liability, board of directors’ governance, committees, shareholder matters and other related matters.
B.C.L., McGill University, 1975
B.Sc., McGill University, 1971
- Acquisition of Alcan by Rio Tinto (representing Alcan), which is the biggest all cash takeover in Canadian history (transaction valued at US$38.1 billion)
- Privatization of the Four Seasons Hotels (transaction valued at US$3.7 billion)
- Privatization of Shell Canada Limited by Royal Dutch Shell (transaction valued at approximately $8.7 billion) in which he represented the Special Committee
- Cross-border merger of Domtar with the fine paper assets of Weyerhaeuser, creating new Domtar (US$6 billion enterprise value)
- Acquisition by Yellow Pages Group of the directories business of MTS Allstream
- Sale by Telesystem International Wireless Inc. of its operating subsidiaries to Vodaphone in 2005 (US$4.4 billion)
- Spin-out by Alcan of Novelis, creating the largest rolling products company in the world (sales US$6 billion)
- Merger of Quebecor Printing Inc. and World Color Press, Inc. ($2.6 billion) for Quebecor Printing
- Secondary offering by ECL Western Holdings Limited and The Sobey Foundation of units of Wajax Income Fund (representing Wajax) for gross proceeds of $127 million
- Financing by Aeroplan Canada Inc. of Air Canada (representing Aeroplan) by way of a $600 million secured credit facility
Rankings and recognitions
- Nominated as an Acritas Stars™ stand-out lawyer
- Best Lawyers in Canada, 2006-2017: Securities Law, Mergers and Acquisitions Law, Corporate Law
- Chambers Canada, 2016-2017: Corporate/Commercial-Quebec (Eminent Practitioner)
- IFLR (International Financial Law Review) 1000; 2012-2017: Leading lawyer in Mergers and Acquisitions
- Chambers Global: Canada, 2011-2017: Corporate/M&A (Eminent Practitioner)
- The Legal 500 Canada, 2015-2016: Capital Markets
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2012-2017: recommended in Corporate Commercial Law; Corporate Finance & Securities; Corporate Mid-Market; Mergers & Acquisitions; Private Equity
- Who’s Who Legal, Canada 2014-2015: Capital Markets, and Mergers & Acquisitions
- Lexpert®/American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada, 2011-2013: most frequently recommended in the area of Corporate Commercial; Corporate Finance; and Corporate Mid-Market
- Best Lawyers in Canada – Lawyer of the Year 2013: Corporate Law, Montreal
- Canadian Lawyer Magazine, “2012 Top 25 Most Influential”
- Lexpert® Guide to the Leading US/Canada Cross-border Corporate Lawyers in Canada, 2012
- The International Who’s Who of Mergers & Acquisitions Lawyers, 2011-2013
- The International Who’s Who of Capital Markets Lawyers, 2011-2013
- PLC Which Lawyer? 2011: Corporate/M&A
- Lexpert Guide to the Leading US/Canada Cross-border Corporate Lawyers in Canada, 2010
- Received the distinction “Advocatus Emeritus” from the Quebec Bar
- Lexpert-Thomson Guide to the Leading 100 Creative Lawyers in Canada, 2006: One of the leading 100 creative lawyers in Canada
- Lexpert’s US Guide to Canada’s Top 100 Industry Specialists, 2006
- Listed in the Canadian Who’s Who
- Listed in the Financial Post Directory of Directors
- Received the highest ranking from Martindale-Hubbell
- Profiled in the November 2002 issue of Lexpert magazine as one of 30 top deal makers in Canada
Memberships and activities
- Vice Chair and member of McGill University Health Centre Foundation
- Co-chair, Australia-Canada Economic Leadership Forum
- Former Chairman and present member of Executive Committee, Mount Royal Club of Montreal
- Co-chair, Capital Campaign, Montreal Museum of Fine Arts (2008-2012)
- Former member, Advisory Committee to the Autorité des marchés financiers (Quebec)
- Past President, Canadian Club of Montreal
- Co-chair, 2007 Centraide campaign of Greater Montreal
Past and present
- Chair, Advisory Board, McGill University Faculty of Law
- Conseil du patronat du Québec (CPQ)
- Chairman of the board, Wi2Wi Inc.
- Airborne Mobile Inc. (previously Airborne Entertainment Inc.)
- Gildan Activewear Inc.
- Consoltex Group Inc.
- Algo Group
- Lennox Industries Inc.
- Canadian Marconi Company
- Shreve Crump & Low
- Vice chairman and member, Executive Committee, Orchestre symphonique de Montréal
- Trustee, Montreal Museum of Fine Arts Foundation
- Centraide of Greater Montréal
- The Centaur Theatre Company