Norman M. Steinberg, Ad E
Norman Steinberg is Global Co-Chair of Norton Rose Fulbright and Chairman of Norton Rose Fulbright Canada. He is also an ex officio member of Norton Rose Fulbright Canada’s management committee. He focuses on mergers and acquisitions, corporate finance, privatization and corporate governance.
Mr. Steinberg’s mergers and acquisitions experience includes multi-billion dollar transactions in the hospitality, oil and gas, telecommunications, paper and printing, rolling products and electronics sectors. He has acted in numerous privatization matters for governments and major Canadian and North American companies.
Within corporate finance, he conducts numerous Canadian and Canada/US cross-border and international financings for both issuers and underwriters. He has acted in numerous initial public offerings in various industry segments.
In the area of corporate governance, Mr. Steinberg frequently advises on directors and officers’ liability, board of directors’ governance, committees, shareholder matters and other related matters.
Year of call
B.C.L., McGill University, 1975
B.Sc., McGill University, 1971
Selected client work
- Secondary offering by ECL Western Holdings Limited and The Sobey Foundation of units of Wajax Income Fund (representing Wajax) for gross proceeds of $127 million
- Financing by Aeroplan Canada Inc. of Air Canada (representing Aeroplan) by way of a $600 million secured credit facility
- Acquisition of Alcan by Rio Tinto (representing Alcan), which is the biggest all cash takeover in Canadian history (transaction valued at US$38.1 billion)
- Privatization of the Four Seasons Hotels (transaction valued at US$3.7 billion)
- Privatization of Shell Canada Limited by Royal Dutch Shell (transaction valued at approximately $8.7 billion) in which he represented the Special Committee
- Cross-border merger of Domtar with the fine paper assets of Weyerhaeuser, creating new Domtar (US$6 billion enterprise value)
- Acquisition by Yellow Pages Group of the directories business of MTS Allstream
- Sale by Telesystem International Wireless Inc. of its operating subsidiaries to Vodaphone in 2005 (US$4.4 billion)
- Spin-out by Alcan of Novelis, creating the largest rolling products company in the world (sales US$6 billion)
- Merger of Quebecor Printing Inc. and World Color Press, Inc. ($2.6 billion) for Quebecor Printing
Rankings and recognitions
- Best Lawyers in Canada, 2012-2014 - Securities Law, Mergers and Acquisitions Law, Corporate Law
- Chambers Global: The World’s Leading Lawyers for Business, 2011-2014: Corporate/M&A (Eminent Practitioner)
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2012-2013: recommended in Corporate Commercial Law, Corporate Finance & Securities, Corporate Mid-Market, Mergers & Acquisitions and Private Equity
- Lexpert®/American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada 2012-2013, most frequently recommended in the area of Corporate Commercial; Corporate Finance; and Corporate Mid-Market
- Best Lawyers’ Lawyer of the Year, 2013 – Corporate Law, Montreal
- Canadian Lawyer Magazine, “2012 Top 25 Most Influential”
- Lexpert® Guide to the Leading US/Canada Cross-border Corporate Lawyers in Canada, 2012
- IFLR (International Financial Law Review) 1000 - The Guide to the World’s Leading Financial Law Firms - Leading lawyer in Mergers and Acquisitions, 2012-2014
- The International Who’s Who of Mergers & Acquisitions Lawyers, 2011-2013
- The International Who’s Who of Capital Markets Lawyers, 2011-2013
- PLC Which lawyer?, 2011 - Corporate/M&A
- Lexpert / American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada, 2011 - Most frequently recommended for Corporate Commercial Law, Corporate Finance & Securities, Mergers & Acquisitions and Corporate Mid-Market
- Lexpert Guide to the Leading US/Canada Cross-border Corporate Lawyers in Canada, 2010
- Received the distinction “Advocatus Emeritus” from the Quebec Bar
- One of the leading 100 creative lawyers in Canada in the 2006 edition of the Lexpert-Thomson Guide to the Leading 100 Creative Lawyers in Canada
- Listed in Lexpert’s 2006 US Guide to Canada’s Top 100 Industry Specialists
- Listed in the Canadian Who’s Who
- Listed in the Financial Post Directory of Directors
- Received the highest ranking from Martindale-Hubbell
- Profiled in the November 2002 issue of Lexpert magazine as one of 30 top deal makers in Canada
Memberships and activities
- Former Chairman, Mount Royal Club of Montreal
- Co-chair, Capital Campaign, Montreal Museum of Fine Arts (2008-2012)
- Former member, Advisory Committee to the Autorité des marchés financiers (Quebec)
- Past President, Canadian Club of Montreal
- Co-chair, 2007 Centraide campaign of Greater Montréal
Past and present
- Conseil du patronat du Québec (CPQ)
- Chairman of the Board, Wi2Wi Inc.
- Airborne Mobile Inc. (previously Airborne Entertainment Inc.)
- Gildan Activewear Inc.
- Consoltex Group Inc.
- Algo Group
- Lennox Industries Inc.
- Canadian Marconi Company
- Shreve Crump & Low
- Vice Chairman and member, Executive Committee, Orchestre symphonique de Montréal
- Trustee, Montreal Museum of Fine Arts Foundation
- Centraide of Greater Montréal
- The Centaur Theatre Company
Quebec's abundant natural resources, European flair and preserved francophone culture sets the province apart from the rest of North America..
July 01, 2013
An overview of the principal corporate, tax and other legal considerations that would be of interest to foreign businesses..
June 28, 2013
Norman Steinberg comments in the National Post on Chambers’ Global 2014 rankings..
March 28, 2014
Norton Rose Fulbright has announced the expansion of its global diversity and inclusion advisory council (GDIAC) to include the United States..
March 11, 2014