Éric Hardy’s practice focuses principally on commercial litigation, insurance, civil liability, manufacturer’s liability, class actions, business ethics and corporate litigation and arbitration. He also has considerable experience in professional liability matters as he has represented dentists, doctors, land surveyors, securities brokers and life, health and casualty insurance brokers before the courts. In addition, Mr. Hardy has experience in transnational litigation. He has pleaded before all the courts of Quebec and the Supreme Court of Canada.
Mr. Hardy acts, mainly in defence, in actions in damages resulting from searches, defamation, bodily injury and property damage. He has also acted in cases relating to contested municipal by-laws and product liability cases. Mr. Hardy is consulted frequently on insurance policy coverage issues. He has represented local and international insurers, including Lloyd’s.
Some years ago, he acted in a major file in which an attempt was made to penetrate banking secrecy in a tax haven. He also acted recently in a major class action involving compulsive gambling in which he represented a manufacturer of video lottery terminals.
Mr. Hardy acted as Québec Chair of our students committee for five years.
As an FCAR and Commonwealth Scholar at Queen Mary College, University of London, Mr. Hardy studied intellectual property, information technology and comparative law. Upon being called to the Bar, he joined another large Montréal law firm as a litigation lawyer. In 1992, he joined our Québec office.
Year of call
LL.B., Université Laval, 1987
LL.M., University of London, 1989
Selected client work
Mr. Hardy has acted for the following clients:
- A Spanish civil servant in successfully obtaining a dismissal, pursuant to Canada’s State Immunity Act, of a $4.8 million claim commenced in Quebec by Swiss residents for allegedly defamatory statements made in communications between Canadian and Spanish tax agencies
- A manufacturer of video lottery terminals as the intervenor in a class action relating to compulsive gambling in which damages of $700 million were claimed. The trial lasted over a year and was the largest civil case ever heard in the judicial district of Québec
- Yannick Payette and Mammoet Canada Eastern Ltd. in their appeal to the Supreme Court of Canada in a file raising issues pertaining to restrictive covenants
- A Quebec university in major intellectual property litigation
- A group of limited partners with a minority interest in a limited partnership in an action against the limited partners with a majority interest and the general partner
- A Quebec municipality as the defendant to an action for about $5 million following allegedly illegal searches by its police force
- A maxillofacial surgeon in an action for over $3 million, which was appealed to the Supreme Court of Canada
- A manufacturer of vascular prostheses (stents) in major litigation against a research centre
- Lawyers in professional liability suits
- The plaintiffs in an action for over $1 million against a manufacturer of industrial sanders
Rankings and recognitions
- Best Lawyers in Canada, 2013-2014 - Corporate and Commercial Litigation, Director and Officer Liability, Personal Injury Litigation, Securities Law
- Benchmark Canada, 2012-2013 - recognized as a local litigation star in Quebec; Litigation star in Canada in Class Actions
- Best Lawyers in Canada, 2012 - Corporate and Commercial Litigation, Director and Officer Liability, Personal Injury Litigation
- LexisNexis Martindale-Hubbell, BV Peer Review Rating
- Commonwealth Scholar at Queen Mary College, University of London
Memberships and activities
- Canadian Bar Association
- Quebec Bar
- Former member of the General Council
- Strategic Planning Committee
- Quebec City Bar Association
- Former Treasurer
- Former member of the Committee on the Illegal Practice of Law
- Former Secretary and Treasurer of the Junior Bar Association
De plus en plus, les fabricants sont confrontés à de nombreux défis et, par la même occasion, à d’importants risques..
September 26, 2013
Any enterprise that wishes to participate in certain City of Montreal contracts will have to hold an authorization granted by the Autorité des marchés financiers....
January 23, 2013
Many in the Quebec legal community risk facing an unwelcome surprise when settling personal injury claims. Éric Hardy explains in Lawyers Weekly..
November 06, 2009