Christopher N. Hunter
Partner, Lawyer, Patent Agent, Trade-mark Agent
Chris Hunter represents clients in the acquisition, enforcement and exploitation of all forms of intellectual property, including patents, trade-marks, copyrights, industrial designs and trade secrets.
His practice focuses on providing strategic advice to clients concerning their intellectual property portfolios, and providing litigation support for infringement and misappropriation actions.
He also regularly negotiates and drafts agreements, including licences, joint development agreements and various other technology-related agreements. He was significantly involved in representing Nortel in the historic $4.5 billion sale of its patent portfolio.
As a registered patent agent, Mr. Hunter drafts and prosecutes patent applications for electrical, mechanical (including medical devices), business method, financial services (FinTech), software and information technology-related inventions. He also specializes in industrial designs. Mr. Hunter is also a registered trade-mark agent.
Prior to joining our Toronto office, Mr. Hunter was a partner at another major law firm in Toronto. Before becoming a lawyer, he was a management consultant with Andersen Consulting (now Accenture).
Year of call
Year of registration
Canada (trade-marks) 2010
United States (trade-marks) 2010
Canada (patents) 2002
United States (patents) 2002
LL.B., University of Victoria, 1998
M.A.Sc., Engineering, University of Toronto, 1995
B.A.Sc., Engineering, University of Toronto, 1991
- Mr. Hunter has spoken at numerous conferences, including those organized by Insight, Federated Press and the Ontario Bar Association. He is also an occasional guest speaker at Ryerson University.
Selected client work
Matters in which Mr. Hunter has acted include:
- Advising Nortel Networks Limited on all intellectual property aspects, including trade-marks and branding, relating to its divestment of assets and businesses. This included advising Nortel Networks Limited in its record-breaking $4.5-billion sale of 6,000 patents to Rockstar Bidco (a consortium comprising Apple Inc., EMC Corporation, Ericsson, Microsoft, Research In Motion—now BlackBerry—and Sony). Work for Nortel included: managing Nortel’s trade-mark portfolio in insolvency, negotiating deal documents, conducting due diligence analysis of hundreds of patents, formulating claims charts, contending with standards bodies, and a myriad of related issues while negotiating aspects of the precursor sale agreement with Google
- Advising the Bank of Nova Scotia on the technical aspects of DataTreasury’s multi-million dollar patent infringement claim relating to the electronic imaging and reconciliation of cheques and subsequent transmission via the bank’s secure networks Canada wide
- Managing Tac-Fast Canada’s worldwide patent and trade-mark portfolio, spanning over 40 countries and jurisdictions
- Advising Domtar Corporation on intellectual property portfolio assessment and patent infringement risk in the acquisition of Attends Healthcare Limited, including providing freedom to operate analysis of over 3,600 European patents
- Advising Research In Motion—now BlackBerry—on the patenting of its smartphone technology and managing a number of its patent portfolios
- Advising TELUS Mobility (Canada’s third-largest mobile phone company) on the patenting of aspects of its wireless telephone technology
- Advising Bell Canada (Canada’s largest telecommunications company) on a variety of litigation matters while on secondment at Bell
Rankings and recognitions
- Best Lawyers in Canada, 2013-2016: Intellectual Property Law
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2014-2015: recommended in Intellectual Property
- Who’s Who Legal, Canada 2015-2016: Patents
Memberships and activities
- International Trademark Association
- Intellectual Property Institute of Canada
- Toronto Intellectual Property Group
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Licensing Executives Society
Norton Rose Fulbright is pleased to invite you to its Technology Academy - Strategic Insights and Recent Developments in Technology Law..
SeminarFebruary 3, 2016 | Toronto, ON, Canada
Industrial designs in Canada are governed by the Industrial Design Act (the ‘Act’)..
November 17, 2015
On November 5, 2015, text of the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) was released..
November 10, 2015
Chris Hunter comments in the National Post on how the stakes for intellectual property protection have never been higher with the advent of the digital era, globa....
February 07, 2012
International legal practice Norton Rose Group has advised Domtar Corporation on its €180million acquisition of Attends Healthcare from Rutland Partners. The tran....
February 06, 2012