Co-Head of Brazil Practice; Co-Head of Corporate, M&A and Securities, Latin America; Senior Partner
Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Glenn Faass is co-head of our Brazil practice, founded in 2014, and is also one of the co-founders of the Colombian practice in 2010.
He practises principally in the area of energy and mining, but also focuses on international operations. He has primarily represented mining and energy clients in the former Soviet Union and in Latin America since 1992.
Glenn was a resident in Moscow, and head of the Russian practice of Macleod Dixon (one of the two predecessors of our Canadian practice) from 1992-1997. In 1997 he moved to Venezuela to found the Caracas office, and in 2010 he moved to Bogotá where he served as managing partner until February 2014. Glenn also co-founded the practice in Kazakhstan (1995), which is also now a part of our global practice.
Year of call
Solicitor, England and Wales 2005
Miranda State, Venezuela (international and Canadian law) 2001
Rio de Janeiro State, Brazil (international and Canadian law) 2001
LL.B., University of Alberta, 1979
- “Legal, Economic, Security and Political Trends in Five Major Latin American Economies” and “Brazilian Oil & Gas Investment Trends,” seminar for Korean Development Bank, Seoul, October 8, 2014.
- “Enforcement of foreign arbitral awards in Latin America,” presentation at Inter-Pacific Bar Association meeting, Rio de Janeiro, September 29, 2014,
- “International anti-bribery compliance programs under US, UK and Canadian legislation,” presentation in Portuguese to industry group in Sao Paulo, September 19, 2014.
- Colombian Oil & Gas (panel moderator), 3rd Annual Latin Lawyer conference on Latin American Oil & Gas, Rio de Janeiro, May 2012.
- “Upstream Oil and Gas Opportunities in Latin America” (co-presenter), Calgary, September 2011.
- “O Papel da Lei na Exploração e Produção de Minas: a Perspectiva Jurídica Canadense,” Brazilian Mining Institute’s 10th Mining Expo, Belo Horizonte, Brazil.
- “Oil and Gas in the Former Soviet Union: Prospects and Opportunities,” a conference co-sponsored by Insight Information Inc. and The Canada-USSR Business Council.
- “Latin America Upstream,” “Fiscal Regime for Heavy Oil Project in Canada, Venezuela and Brazil,” Latin America Upstream-AIPN conference.
- “Colombia Ronda 2012: Challenges for Independents and Juniors,” Oil & Gas Year 2012.
- “Recent Legal Developments Provide Exciting Opportunities for Canadian Companies in Colombia,” September 2010.
- “Reform or Conform: Russian Production Associations Regroup,” East West Executive Guide.
- “Restructuring Russia’s Oil and Gas Industry” (co-author), Canada-Russia Business Council Bulletin.
- “Change As a Way of Life: The Russian Petroleum Sector,” Canada-Russia Business Council Bulletin.
- “The Framework of Venezuelan Mining Law” (co-author).
Rankings and recognitions
- Chambers Global: The World’s Leading Lawyers for Business, 2013: Energy & Natural Resources (Foreign experts)
- IFLR (International Financial Law Review) 1000 - The Guide to the World’s Leading Financial Law Firms - Leading Lawyer in Financial and Corporate, 2013
- Who's Who Legal, Global Mining Law Firm of the Year, 2012
- Chambers Global: The World’s Leading Lawyers for Business, 2012: Colombia - Energy & Natural Resources; Energy & Natural Resources (Foreign experts); Brazil - Energy & Natural Resources: Mining (Experts based abroad)
- Latin Business Chronicle “Latin America’s Legal Stars of 2012,” named as one of the top 50 lawyers
- The International Who’s Who of Mining Lawyers 2012
- Chambers Global 2011 (Global) in the area of Energy and Natural Resources: Mining - Experts Based Abroad (Spotlight Table)
- Chambers Global 2011 (Global) in the area of Energy and Natural Resources (Band 3)
- The International Who’s Who of Mining Lawyers 2011
Memberships and activities
- Calgary Bar Association
- Canadian Bar Association
- Law Society of England & Wales
- International Bar Association
- Association of International Petroleum Negotiators
- Canada-Brazil Chamber of Commerce
- Past Executive of the Resources Committee
- Past President, Canadian Business Association in Russia
- Past Director, Venezuelan-Canadian Chamber of Commerce
- Past Director, International Lawyers Group, Moscow
An examination of infrastructure projects in Latin America, new trends, and opportunities related to infrastructure development in the region.
June 25, 2015
Please join Norton Rose Fulbright for an insightful look at some of the current legal issues facing mining companies in Latin America..
Tuesday, March 4, 2014
On March 3, in San Diego, California, the US Department of Justice Fraud Section Senior Deputy Chief, Patrick Stokes, warned companies to approach US authorities..
March 21, 2016
Business ethics and anti-corruption regulation and enforcement are at the forefront of the issues facing all businesses today. Standards have changed....
September 26, 2015
Norton Rose Fulbright is pleased to announce that the IFLR1000 2015 highlighted Latin American members in practice areas and top lawyers categories for 2015. .
July 13, 2015
For the fourth consecutive year, we have been recognised as the most highly regarded law firm for mining by Who’s Who Legal 2015..
January 30, 2015